The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i recently planted this 8 gallon tank, cycled the tank and other necessary stuff before planting. Its been almost 2 weeks and everything looks great except for the brazilian microsword which is refusing to grow let alone carpet. What am i doing wrong? Substrate is ADA, Light about 40 PAR and passive CO2 absorption.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Hey nano8, welcome to the forum.

You have a really nice start there :D. Not a plant expert but Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis is mostly grown emersed when you buy it from the shop. It might take a little longer to adapt. The clumps also look rather big.

Do you have any method to measure the disolved CO2 ? pH- KH , drop checker ?

all the best

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a bunch it was my first attempt with added CO2. Did a few low techs before that. Plan to only add a few shrimps in there. Answering your question, when the lights are on, its a green to a slightly blueish green, which i think is alright. My pH is stable at 6.6, kH if i remember is 4 and i dont test gh.

I think u are right about the micro sword. These are tropica 1 2 grow which i know are grown emersed. I was thinking the same thing about the clumps but didnt want to disturb it as i heard the roots melt when u first plant them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Following out guys advice, I thinned the micro sword. The clumps were too thick as only outer plants had good roots and some plants were even upside down :grin2:

Sorry for my incompetence it was my first time doing foreground carpeting plants. I just followed the instructions if i remember was "Divide into 8-10 pieces, plant and watch them grow" :frown2:

Anyways I learnt from my mistake, crossing fingers for now.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
nice looking tank!

that red alternanthera will grow out quite tall though.
obviously i wouldn't want to have to move around my carpet again but might be worth putting the alternantheras more towards the back and let the carpet slide in front of them.

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
nice looking tank!

that red alternanthera will grow out quite tall though.
obviously i wouldn't want to have to move around my carpet again but might be worth putting the alternantheras more towards the back and let the carpet slide in front of them.
Yeah, I agree, make the entire foreground microsword and move the alternantheras to the midground around the stumps. I have always found the thinner you plant the groupings of most foreground plants the better they grow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its the mini version in this tank and this was done on purpose. I wanted to go with a really bushy effect on this one with a slope. I will wait for the other plants to grow to size that trim it down to match the slope. Still a newbie though, constructive criticism is always welcomed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.