The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm contemplating getting rid of my c02, ferts, and 108w T5 fixture.

I have a normal size 75gallon, the only plants i have are lots of Java fern.

Question is what type of lighting set up should i use, so that i don't have to dose fertts or worry about c02,AND not have to dose Excel.

Can i use the marine led's? single bright, double bright?

As always thanks for your help.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
A cheap fix would be to add two layers of fiberglass window screen (insect screen) between the light and the tank. You can put it on the light, or you can put it on top of the tank. That will reduce the light intensity by about 64%. A 2xT5HO light is just too much light for that tank.

A more expensive fix is a Coralife T5NO, 2 bulb light, if you can find one. I think those are now re-branded as Aqueon lights. Two of those, one near the back and one near the front of the tank would work even better.

A third fix is to raise the T5HO light to about 36 inches from the substrate, which also reduces the intensity, and gives more uniform lighting in the tank as a bonus.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Changing Your Lighting

Hello photo...

You could go with the new aquarium bulbs GE has. They're a T8, 32 watt, 6500 K. I have them in my 55 Gs and they're for aquarium use. They're a standard 48 inch bulb. The local hardware stores in my area have them for about $12.00 each. There's also a T12, 40 watt, 6500 K available for about the same price. Good price for decent lighting. As long as you stay with the low light plants, this bulb will work well.

Do your 50 percent water change every week and if you have enough fish in the tank, you can likely get by without the ferts.

B

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A cheap fix would be to add two layers of fiberglass window screen (insect screen) between the light and the tank. You can put it on the light, or you can put it on top of the tank. That will reduce the light intensity by about 64%. A 2xT5HO light is just too much light for that tank.

A more expensive fix is a Coralife T5NO, 2 bulb light, if you can find one. I think those are now re-branded as Aqueon lights. Two of those, one near the back and one near the front of the tank would work even better.

A third fix is to raise the T5HO light to about 36 inches from the substrate, which also reduces the intensity, and gives more uniform lighting in the tank as a bonus.
Great idea Hoppy, is this the stuff? http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

So if i put 2 layers of this blocking the light, I can get rid of my c02, and ferts, FYI i would consider my tank heavily stocked. Also not have to dose excel?
that would be most awesome.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.