The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my tank on auto pilot for some months now and all has been going pretty well. However, this morning a few things are concerning me so I'm seeking advice. I've always had one problem spot with just a touch of BBA and I would just pick it out and it always just kinda stayed right there. I'm now noticing a gentle spread throughout the tank and I'm growing concerned.

I have a feeling my plants are causing the problem and I suspect they are preventing flow in those areas. My goal this month is to reduce my species down to 12 + or - a few. Currently have 20+ species.
1. Should I wait and see what happens with less plants and assumed better flow around the plants?
2. Should I increase CO2 to compensate? I may have a bit of room to increase it.
3. Try adjusting my spray bar to blow down into the tank? I have a segmented bar I can adjust for 3 flow directions.
4. I am not asking the right questions?

Here is my dosing and a picture of the tank.
Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Pattern
Plant Plant community Flower Terrestrial plant Natural landscape

I also noticed some melt in my Aponogeton.
Last week, I dropped NO3 to 14.3ppm from 18ppm.

Today is water change day, and I did a full set of test:
NO3 12-18ppm
PO4 1.5-2.5ppm (noticing a bit of GSA this week also)
K 20ppm
I wondering if I need a mid week dose of PO4 or dose higher in the front load?

Sorry for so many questions here.

Any insight is greatly appreciated,
Mike

·
Registered
856 Posts
Lemme first say, props on this spreadsheet, I will definitely take a note from how organized you are. The tank looks great too!

In my experience with BBA, I've never been successful at eradicating it 100% from ever appearing again, but managing it as you have been doing I have. I always noticed that BBA has this affinity to higher flow areas in my tanks, and one theory I had for you is that as the plants have grown in more and more, the flow pattern in the tank is a bit different now. Just an idea.

I feel like what I would do is cut infected plants, watch for decaying plants and top-replant if needed. General maintenance seems you are on punto with that. Look for sources of organic waste like decaying of lower leaves.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lemme first say, props on this spreadsheet, I will definitely take a note from how organized you are. The tank looks great too!

In my experience with BBA, I've never been successful at eradicating it 100% from ever appearing again, but managing it as you have been doing I have. I always noticed that BBA has this affinity to higher flow areas in my tanks, and one theory I had for you is that as the plants have grown in more and more, the flow pattern in the tank is a bit different now. Just an idea.

I feel like what I would do is cut infected plants, watch for decaying plants and top-replant if needed. General maintenance seems you are on punto with that. Look for sources of organic waste like decaying of lower leaves.

This makes a lot of sense. Thank you! The next two weeks, as I remove many plants, I bet I find some stuff hiding where I can't reach/ see it. Also, my Pogo Erectus has been dropping many needles, this could also be a big source too. I read it likes a bit leaner water and I've increased my PO4 a bit. Maybe this was too much? I also dropped NO3 a bit to compensate, the tank holds pretty steady on NO3.

I'm leaning towards a mid week shot of PO4 might be better vs the initial load.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Can you isolate the BBA and hit it with some peroxide? Else, with your tank looking as good as it is I suspect that thru continued tank maintenance and focusing on growing plants it'll be kept in check

What are your thoughts on the Chihiros lights?...do you like them?

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
First of all tank is looking great!!

I very much doubt the BBA has anything to do with the PO4 dosing. Your level is similar to most of the best plant growers that I know.

I'd try upping CO2 a bit. If you are using pure RO, I doubt your degassed is really 6.8. Mine is 6.25 and I drop pH down to 4.85 daily via CO2 injection.

Make sure filters are clean and keep up on water changes and gravel vacs. Dosing seems fine to me.

You could try turning down light just a hair. I know that your light is capable of some pretty intense PAR. But you have too much going right to do anything drastic.

In the meantime, remove whatever BBA you find and keep plants nicely trimmed. I'm guessing you will be just fine.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Can you isolate the BBA and hit it with some peroxide? Else, with your tank looking as good as it is I suspect that thru continued tank maintenance and focusing on growing plants it'll be kept in check

What are your thoughts on the Chihiros lights?...do you like them?
I really like the Chihiros so far. If I get 5 years out of it not breaking, I will consider it an excellent buy. I bought a second one for my 40 Breeder AGA attempt, if that say anything.

First of all tank is looking great!!

I very much doubt the BBA has anything to do with the PO4 dosing. Your level is similar to most of the best plant growers that I know.

I'd try upping CO2 a bit. If you are using pure RO, I doubt your degassed is really 6.8. Mine is 6.25 and I drop pH down to 4.85 daily via CO2 injection.

Make sure filters are clean and keep up on water changes and gravel vacs. Dosing seems fine to me.

You could try turning down light just a hair. I know that your light is capable of some pretty intense PAR. But you have too much going right to do anything drastic.

In the meantime, remove whatever BBA you find and keep plants nicely trimmed. I'm guessing you will be just fine.
Thank you Greggz. Just did a big maintenance sessions last night and checked off all those boxes. This Eco Complete raised my KH early on and maybe this is why I was seeing a 6.8. I will recheck this immediately and see where things may have gone.

Here's a post clean shot. I have too many reds now and used one as a curtain, that has to be a "sin" somewhere. :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
Wow that is a good beat down!!

It's a good thing to do every so often. Most plants like the extra elbow room and it encourages nice clean new growth.

I look forward to seeing how it grows back in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts