The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning a 29 gal tank with half dozen flame tetras, another half dozen diamond tetras. Using java moss carpet. (Java moss woven through a plastic grid as a substrate). Along with a few rocks wrapped in moss as an anchor.
Been given this bare tank, ive cut some plexiglass in two sections as a makeshift hood. I also found a old aquarium light, 15 inches I believe, as a light source.
My questions, if someone would be so kind, will the light be enough for the java moss?
Also would it be safe to sit atop the plexiglass or would the fluorescent light melt it?
Also found a dual HOB filter but would like to go with a canister maybe? Any advice on a suitable filter would be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
945 Posts
You don't need much light for java moss. I used to put my trimmings in a bucket on the floor with just the light from the tank and it grew in the bucket no problems. It maybe a little slower growing but it will grow. If anything to much light will bring on algae.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
If you can support the plex all around by fitting it to the tank lip, it will serve for a while but you should be aware that it does tend to bow down after a bit. If you can cut and fit it so you are able to flip it over, you can get longer use out of it. I would feel okay with the light on the plex but far better if you can work out supports to hold it even a 1/4" up off to give a little air flow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.