The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I need help. I’ve never divided a tank before so I have no idea what you are supposed to do when it comes to equipment.
I have a 20 Gal long tank that I plan to split into two planted sections. I am looking at a removable divider that has small holes in it so the tank would share water on both sides.
Question is: do you need two filters/heaters or can you share one filter/heater for both sides?
Sorry if this is a dumb question but I have seen so many divided opinions. I appreciate any advice you guys can give!

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Well technically you can share one filter/heater. However, I've found that most dividers suck when it comes to water flow. Unless you're using a sump or canister filter where it is very clear that one end of the tank sucks in the water and the other end spits out the returning water, I'd just go with individual filters.

Heaters wise, heat works a bit differently than water flow. I would go with two smaller heaters instead of one larger heater and place them in both sections.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well technically you can share one filter/heater. However, I've found that most dividers suck when it comes to water flow. Unless you're using a sump or canister filter where it is very clear that one end of the tank sucks in the water and the other end spits out the returning water, I'd just go with individual filters.

Heaters wise, heat works a bit differently than water flow. I would go with two smaller heaters instead of one larger heater and place them in both sections.
Thanks for the advice! That makes a lot of sense. I was kinda thinking that would be the case but then I would see so many people who don’t do it that way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.