The Planted Tank Forum banner

Advice needed 180G filitration and current

1956 12
Hey guys...

Just picked up a 180G off craigslit.
I am looking for some advice in regards to filtration. The Rena Xp3 (350 gph) Came with the tank.

I already own a Eheim 2215 (164 gph) classic but feel that even with these two filters I will not have enough filtration for a tank of this size.

I am thinking about getting another Xp3 and putting two Xp3 on the tank. Any advice here....? Will this be enough filtration? I would love to get Eheim 2260 but the price is pretty high.

Also looking for some input in regards to water movement. I'm wondering if two Xp3 will create enough current/movement in the tank. If not I'm trying to decide between a powerhead or plumbed in pump for additional current. Anyone know pros/cons here powerhead vs. pump and amount of power I should be looking for?
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
The filtration is more depended upon what kind of tank you have an how high your bioload.

If you have a heavily planted tank then most of the filtration is done through the plants and regular water changes.

However if your fish load is too high for the tank then that will change everything.

I have use a Tetra EX 120 (317 GPH (1200 LPH) ) on 120 Gallon tank with no probems. Though have used the same filter on a 55 gallong tank and needed to add another filter. Different tanks and different spec will make a difference.

Flow on the other hand is totally different. The more flow in the planted tank (to a limit) the better. It will help spread the nutrients around and prevent dead spots, help keep the temperature consistant in all areas and help spread around the CO2. Adding small power heads to the tank will increase the flow without largerly increasing the power consumptions (8 watts a powerhead), and it means less plumbing in the tank.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for the response.

I plan on having a heavily planted tank with I guess a medium load of fish. Mostly Rummy Nose and Rasbora school and some Discus plus bottom fish, algae eaters.

I will start low tech with no CO2 but plan to add in the future.

How many powerheads do you think will provide sufficient current? You think powerheads are better than a pump?

·
Registered
115 Posts
You might take a look at the fluval fx5. They seem prohibitively expensive ($400ish most places) but you can get one for about $200 on ebay brand new (sponges only, need to add media). I just picked one up for a tank I'm setting up. At that price they are great bang for the buck in a canister.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
High thanks for the advice.

I am unfamiliar with this type of filter... but I am new to this so I definitely want to find out more about them. How many GPH would you recommend for 180 Gallon. Can these two filters hook up in line or are they piped individually into the tank. How are they compared to an Eheim that is the only type of filter I’ve owned. What’s their maintenance like? A rena XP3 came with the tank but I’m not sure if I’m going to use that filter plus another canister or get something completely different.

I looked up Blue line 55 on ebay $219.90
Filters together: $354
This is a bit out of my price range right now but would consider it later down the road. Do you have any advice on a less expensive option?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I researched the fluval fx5 and from what I read they don't hold up well. One person said they had 6 on different tanks and 5 out of the 6 had problems. I am still considering 2 Xp3's and 2 powerheads for additional current... but different suggestions and ideas would be great. I'd like an Eheim 2260 and 2217 if I had the extra cash... but after buying the tank stand and 16 bags eco complete my budget is shrinking...

·
Registered
712 Posts
Although I'm also fairly new to this as well, I have read that most people prefer to have two filters on larger tanks....one on each end.

Unfortunately, regardless of the filter's power, most (if not all) are not powerful enough to flow and distribute nutrients, CO2, water to the other side of the tank.

I believe two XP3's, one on each end would probably be your your best bet. Even with an XP5, I believe most of the experts here would recommend putting a powerhead at the very least on the opposite end...and even then, they may prefer the 2 x XP3s idea more.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks astrosag,

I think you're right... I had no idea how much filter power and water movement was needed in a planted tank until I started reading post on this site. I have been reading and reading past posts trying to decide what's best for my new tank...It is really helpful to get some peoples input who have been on this site longer and have more experience and time invested in researching than I do. I figure I'll start a tank journal soon and that will be a good way to bounce ideas around and see what people think.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have a 125 and I use 2 of the cheapo filters of [Ebay Link Removed] CFS 500 is what they are called. I love them. I use one as my reactor since the pump is at the bottom of the filter. Works like a charm. One on each end for flow.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I have two 125s and both have Eheim 2080 and 2229s on them. It would be hard for me to step away from Eheim if I were a prior owner. I used to have a FX5 on one of them but it requires constant attention, unlike the Eheims. Not a bad filter though.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Thanks astrosag,

I think you're right... I had no idea how much filter power and water movement was needed in a planted tank until I started reading post on this site. I have been reading and reading past posts trying to decide what's best for my new tank...It is really helpful to get some peoples input who have been on this site longer and have more experience and time invested in researching than I do. I figure I'll start a tank journal soon and that will be a good way to bounce ideas around and see what people think.
Absolutely TankZen! This forum community is pretty awesome.

Moving water around is even more important if your adding ferts to the water column. Also, you'll read that a lot of people with pressurized CO2 are keen on surface agitation to outgas CO2 (in cases where people leave it on all night) and to introduce oxygen into the water. All of this, across a 125G seems difficult with one filter (assuming its longer than it is deeper).

I've seen people ask this question before and more often than not, the best method recommended is to have two filters on either ends followed by a filter/powerhead combo (the more cost-effective route).

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
High thanks for the advice.

I am unfamiliar with this type of filter... but I am new to this so I definitely want to find out more about them. How many GPH would you recommend for 180 Gallon. Can these two filters hook up in line or are they piped individually into the tank. How are they compared to an Eheim that is the only type of filter I’ve owned. What’s their maintenance like? A rena XP3 came with the tank but I’m not sure if I’m going to use that filter plus another canister or get something completely different.

I looked up Blue line 55 on ebay $219.90
Filters together: $354
This is a bit out of my price range right now but would consider it later down the road. Do you have any advice on a less expensive option?
Just keep an eye out on eBay or Swap forums , I got lucky 1-1/2 year old pump for $85. , It look and runs like bran new.
Eheim Pro 3 or FX . I like the Eheim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.