The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, first I will like to say that I am new to the forum; however, that does not mean that I am new to the fish keeping hobby. At my previous house, I had a 1000g FW Cichlid tank and now that I have upgraded to a larger house with a larger basement, I believe it is time to upgrade to a larger tank as well. My 1000g tank was a DIY build and so will this new tank. For the new tank I would really like to have a nice aquascape with large pieces of driftwood and beautiful plants and I do not want to have another Cichlid tank. I was wondering if I could pull together some stocking ideas to make this the centerpiece of the house! My friend from work is currently getting rid of his 500 gallon tank and therefore I was able to have his fire eel. The only requirement would have to be fish who are compatible with the fire eel. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
114 Posts
School of tinfoil barbs, bala sharks, iridescent sharks, some giant guoramis, redtail cats, shovelnose cats, etc. Or you could go to your local lake and fish out some bass, bluegill, sunfish, various catfish, maybe some koi. Or you could do a koi only tank with about 100 white cloud minnows as dither fish.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The tank does not have any water in it yet, therefore I can not provide the water parameters to you! I wanted to get a general stocking idea of plants and fish before I start the cycling process.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
The inside dimensions for the tank are 26' long x 4' 6" wide x 3' tall!
that sounds like an amazing tank! may I ask why only 4 1/2 feet wide? sheets of plywood are 4 or 8 feet depending on which way you spin them...

Also since I like these kings of things and would like to squirrel away some ideas for the future, how are you planning on seaming together sheets that big? (assuimng of course i's a plywood tank, concrete wouldn't have those issues)

As to stocking if it were me, I would do a couple of large schools of smaller fish. A bunch of loaches and cory's for movement on the bottom, and a couple of larger ~100+ fish schools for midwater a couple schools of tetras to get the different body types, some danios and minnows something quick and flitty. And either 1 or 2 LARGE centerpiece fish or a single school of larger fish, discus, peacock bass, yellow perch, bluegill (though I believe those count as new world cichlids). Andthen a cleanup crew of american flag fish, shrimp, otos, bristlenose (or in this case a larger pleco collection) and abundant snails, also in this sized tank I would feel comfortable recommending stocking some filter feeders as well, either fan shrimp, or clams/mussels

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I would were it me,(and it ain't) spend first few month's just getting the hardscape together and plant's established, before I ever thought about fishes.
Hell,would take me that long to get $$ together for the plant's alone if..it was truly to be a planted tank.
Your source water whatever it is from the tap which I assume (alway's a bad thing) is what you will use for water changes ,would be a factor in the fishes I decided on.
Pretty expensive to store /prepare other source water for a tank this large.
Might also choose anubia,crypt's,Echinodorus,vals,watersprite, and other non demanding plant's for CO2 enhancement might be difficult for such a large tank, and liquid supplement such as Excel would get expensive if used as directed.
Choose fishes that will thrive with your source water.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
I think most of the people posting so far have not read beyond "2500 gallons".

Planted tank = No plant eating fish. No fish so large they disturb or dig up plants.

Fire eel already part of the scheme. They are predatory on small fish.
Mastacembelus erythrotaenia (Fire Eel) ? Seriously Fish
I have a tank with some predatory fish (Polypterus) and they can eat a surprisingly large mouthful of tank mate.

If your water parameters are in the range listed for the fire eel, then other fish should also thrive in that range, and be large enough not to get eaten, and plant safe.
Many Barbs fit the description for size and water parameters, but are not plant safe. Filimentosas, for example mow down anything I put in their tank. It is worth the research, though, to check other barbs in this mid range size. Yes, a school of Roselines would be really nice. A few Siamese Algae Eaters would be good, too. Roselines and SAE are slender fish that might fit in the eels mouth, though.
I wonder if fish the size of Congo Tetras could get eaten? (A 3' long eel probably has a large mouth!) There are other Tetras in this size range. Check what they eat. Perhaps the taller bodied types would be safer? Too tall to fit in the eel's mouth?
The larger Rainbows, such as the Australian would probably be safe. They thrive in a wide range of conditions. If the water is not too soft they should be OK.
Clown Loaches are nice fish, but their plant-compatibility is questionable. Most are just fine in a planted tank as long as they have a cave or arch of driftwood, but some do harm large leafed plants like Anubias or Swords. I think I would still want some, though. Alternatives would be some Loaches that get perhaps half their size. Kubotais, (not Yoyos, they dig), Queen Botias (I have not kept them). In general most Loaches need more water movement than the Eel, but in a large tank I think a couple of well placed circulation pumps could provide some higher flow areas without making the whole tank a high flow tank.
Loach Species Index ? Loaches Online
I would definitely include several Bristlenose Plecos- large enough not to get eaten, yet generally fine with plants, and superb algae eaters.
I know you said no to Cichlids, but have you looked into Jewel Cichlids? Angel fish? Discus? Festivums? Firemouths? These (and several more) are soft water Cichlids, many South American, or from rain forest rivers elsewhere, that are mid-sized (safe from the fire eel) and have enough social structure to work in a tank like this (not so aggressive that you have to plan the tank around them). Check if they are plant safe.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Equipments:

Tank (LxDxH): 240 x 120 x 20 inch (2493.5gUS)
Filters:

200 x Sterbai Cory (Corydoras sterbai)
1000 x Espei Rasbora (Trigonostigma espei)
1000 x Chili Rasbora (Boraras brigittae)
10 x Dwarf Gourami (Colisa lalia)
60 x Forktail Rainbowfish (Pseudomugil furcatus)
200 x Oto (Otocinclus vittatus)
5 x Bristlenose Pleco (Ancistrus sp.)
100 x Zebra Nerite Snail (Neritina natalensis sp. Zebra)

Recommendations/Warnings/Suggestions/Notes:

•Note: Bristlenose Pleco needs driftwood.

Recommended temperature range: 23 - 27 C. [Display in Farenheit]
Warning: Water pH requirements are not fully compatible between all selected species.
=> 5.5 - 7.8: Sterbai Cory
=> 6 - 6.5: Espei Rasbora
=> 6.3 - 7: Chili Rasbora
=> 6 - 8: Dwarf Gourami
=> 6 - 8: Forktail Rainbowfish
=> 5.5 - 7.8: Oto
=> 5.5 - 7.8: Bristlenose Pleco
=> 7 - 9: Zebra Nerite Snail
Recommended hardness range: 10 - 12 dH.

Your aquarium filtration capacity is satisfactory.

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 115%.
Recommended water change schedule: 23% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 67%.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Doesn't the fire eel grows too big? I love them!!!

Why not make it a monster tank? I don't know many names of the "big fish", but there are really cool big fish available you can add in your tank. The only ones I remember right now will be the ghost knife fish (cool looking fish!). And maybe some (or lots!) clown loaches! They do grow big.

There is also the golden dojo loach. But I don't know of he could be a snack for the fire eel. You can look at youtube videos for monster tank as well.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Keyhole cichlid's,Rainbow cichlid's, Bolivian ram's,German blue ram's,apistogramma, are a few other smaller ,more peaceful cichlid's that are not rough on plant's or other tankmates IME.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am having a hard time getting my head around a tank this large. I know it isn't a "large" tank by commercial aquarium standards (like the Shedd here in Chicago), but for something set up and maintained by a non-full time "staff", it's a huge tank! 600 gallon weekly water changes! I can only imagine how spectacular it will be when completed.

Being an engineer (and practical person overall), the first things I think about are:
1) Will the tank be covered? If not, is there a plan to vent the humidity from all the surface evaporation?
2) What sort of lighting will be used? LED will be $$$$ and any plant-worthy lighting will consume a lot of watts, LED or not.
3) Filtration and heating? I imagine a trip to the local pool/spa shop!
4) Maintenance/aquascaping - I can't shake the picture in my mind of walking past your spouse, significant other, or just the dog, wearing a mask, snorkel and fins and saying "I'm going downstairs to trim the plants." :)

Kidding aside, I really would love to see pics when complete! I'll never look at my 20H the same again...

Chris

·
Registered
143 Posts
would love to see this come together... ( sure is giving members a mind rattle!!?)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.