The Planted Tank Forum banner

Advice for Lighting and Filtration New 180g

1308 3
Hi I am getting a 180G off craigslist this weekend and want to get some advice.

I'm planning to set this tank up low tech no CO2 (to start). The tank comes with 4-96W Coralife CF so I can play around with my light levels. At most I would have 2.1WPG. What WPG level would you recommend on a no CO2 low tech 180G tank?

As for the filtration the tank comes with a rena xp3 (350 GPH). I also have a Eheim 2215 classic (164 gph) I can hook up. Will this be enough filtration?

I plan to add a pump for some current so I can get some good water movement. Any suggestions here....pump type, power, tank placement etc.

I think I will be using Eco Complete for the substrate.

Thanks for the input!
:D
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,398 Posts
What are the actual dimensions on the tank? That makes a huge difference in light fixture seletion.

WPG won't be the guideline you want to use for lighting, especially not on a tank this big.

Yes, both of those filters together should be plenty of filtration, especially if you're open to boosting flow with powerheads as needed. I personally don't care for powerheads (just aesthetic, I like keeping as little equipment in a tank as possible) so I don't have experience, but I've heard good things about Koralia.

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
Hi I am getting a 180G off craigslist this weekend and want to get some advice.

I'm planning to set this tank up low tech no CO2 (to start). The tank comes with 4-96W Coralife CF so I can play around with my light levels. At most I would have 2.1WPG. What WPG level would you recommend on a no CO2 low tech 180G tank?

As for the filtration the tank comes with a rena xp3 (350 GPH). I also have a Eheim 2215 classic (164 gph) I can hook up. Will this be enough filtration?

I plan to add a pump for some current so I can get some good water movement. Any suggestions here....pump type, power, tank placement etc.

I think I will be using Eco Complete for the substrate.

Thanks for the input!
:D
I have that much light on my 180(which has a lot of CO2), it would be too much lighting for a non CO2 tank IME.

I'd go T8 actually.

This tank below has T8 lighting and is a 450 Gal at 36" deep with CO2 as well:

So more light is not better.

Good even spread of lower light is what you are after.

Filtration, I'd go a wet/dry for a non CO2 tank this size.
Seal up the sump so no air exchanges in the bioball section.
Much easier to clean and will keep the tank in better overall shape.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.