The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

In the future I'm wanting to grow and sell plants. Stem plants are going to be on the list.

I'm just wondering what other people do for growing stem plants.

First, when a stem plant grows, the top of the plant tends to look really good and lush, and the bottom tend to look not as good, due to the fact that the bottom receive less light.

How do sellers handle this?

Do sellers trim the tops off and sell those and then toss the bottoms?

Will the bottoms grow from where the cut is and look lush and nice again?

I've also heard of laying a stem plant on it's side. People say that new stems will grow from it. Is this true?

I'm still in the learning and planning stage of actually growing and selling plants, but I want to learn as much as I can before I start.

Eventually, I would hope to sell here on the forums and also give away some nice RAOK's for the kindness I've received from others and all that I have learned.

Thanks for any and all advice!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
yes they will continue growing if you leave the bottoms when you cut the tops. Some will bush and send of 2 instead of 1 even.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Okay lets see if my power stays on long enough for me to finish my reply this time.....

A lot of people sell the tops only. No roots to speak of, this is fine it doesn't take long for the plants to grow roots. Also like you noticed the top portion looks better usually. This is what people mean when they say a trim package. They just trimmed their tank and this is what they have cut off.

Now in my opinion doing an emersed set up is better. You don't have to worry about algae or snails. The plants grow quicker. The only problem with this is if you're selling the plant you need to make sure you let people know they were grown emersed. Otherwise when they plant it in their tank and the plant melts they don't know what's going on. Another reason is emersed plants generally look different than immersed.

Yay I finished! My power is still on for now :D

Once you trim the bottoms should bounce back just fine. Some plants people will pull up the bottom and replant the top it just really depends on the plant, but most are fine leaving the rooted portion in.

Laying stems on their sides is a quick way to grow a plants from 1 stem. This is usually done in an emersed set up but can be done immersed. It's a great way to get a ton of 1 plant quickly emersed.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have some Rotala that bends horizontally when it's about 7" from the surface. When it does this, I cut an inch from the top and then shoots pop out and grow straight up. This is what you were talking about in your original post OP. It looks pretty cool.

Sent from my SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 ACTIVE using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay lets see if my power stays on long enough for me to finish my reply this time.....

A lot of people sell the tops only. No roots to speak of, this is fine it doesn't take long for the plants to grow roots. Also like you noticed the top portion looks better usually. This is what people mean when they say a trim package. They just trimmed their tank and this is what they have cut off.

Now in my opinion doing an emersed set up is better. You don't have to worry about algae or snails. The plants grow quicker. The only problem with this is if you're selling the plant you need to make sure you let people know they were grown emersed. Otherwise when they plant it in their tank and the plant melts they don't know what's going on. Another reason is emersed plants generally look different than immersed.

Yay I finished! My power is still on for now :D

Once you trim the bottoms should bounce back just fine. Some plants people will pull up the bottom and replant the top it just really depends on the plant, but most are fine leaving the rooted portion in.

Laying stems on their sides is a quick way to grow a plants from 1 stem. This is usually done in an emersed set up but can be done immersed. It's a great way to get a ton of 1 plant quickly emersed.
I think eventually I will try emersed. Right now I want to focus on immersed. What I like about growing them underwater is that is a better transition to another tank usually. Also, like you said they look slightly different. I know it will be a slower process though. Thanks.

Markahsf said:
I have some Rotala that bends horizontally when it's about 7" from the surface. When it does this, I cut an inch from the top and then shoots pop out and grow straight up. This is what you were talking about in your original post OP. It looks pretty cool.
Same concept sort of; side shoots shooting up out of a plant laying horizontal. I meant laying the plant down sideways on the substrate. pin the top down to the substrate with some sort of pin; maybe like a big plastic staple. I'm sure I can make something like this easily and test it out with a couple of plants.

talontsiawd said:
Just top them and sell the tops. That's what I do and also what I expect when I buy plants. Don't toss the bottom though, let it grow again, then just top them again, and sell.
How much of the top do you typically cut off and how far down the plant can you cut?

I'm sure the answers to these questions are going to differ between people based off preference.

For example:

Lets say I have 10" plants. If I cut the top 8" or 9" leaving only 1" or 2" left, will that bottom part be able to grow still?

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
How much of the top do you typically cut off and how far down the plant can you cut?

I'm sure the answers to these questions are going to differ between people based off preference.

For example:

Lets say I have 10" plants. If I cut the top 8" or 9" leaving only 1" or 2" left, will that bottom part be able to grow still?
I actually don't sell plants often, mostly give them away. If giving them away, basically whatever I trim off, haha. I mean, I try to get at least 3-4 inches minimum or I toss mine.

Usually, a buyer would expect about 7-12 inches. Just think about what you usually get when you buy plants. Rarely will someone complain if they are too long, but too short can be problematic. Lets say your buyer has a 18-24 inch tall tank. If you give them 6 inches, 3 of that may end up under the substrate. Depending on their lighting, it may take a long time before the plant is getting good light.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I actually don't sell plants often, mostly give them away. If giving them away, basically whatever I trim off, haha. I mean, I try to get at least 3-4 inches minimum or I toss mine.

Usually, a buyer would expect about 7-12 inches. Just think about what you usually get when you buy plants. Rarely will someone complain if they are too long, but too short can be problematic. Lets say your buyer has a 18-24 inch tall tank. If you give them 6 inches, 3 of that may end up under the substrate. Depending on their lighting, it may take a long time before the plant is getting good light.
7 - 12 inches is Good size to sell, and I would want to do something like this.

So will the bottom plant grow if I chop off this much and only leave about an inch or 2?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Stems only struggle when trimming back hard if their is not a lot of light at the bottom of the tank. They will grow, they just may take a lot more time to recover. Unless you are really low light, this is rarely a big issue.
Good to know; thanks! I think when I get up and running I'm going to experiment a bit just to see what works the best.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have some wisteria that grows like crazy and one of the stems actually started growing horizontal to the substrate and rooted itself. It then put out 2-3 shoots up off of the main horizontal substrate. So yes, horizontal stems will put out more plants, at least in my case.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have some wisteria that grows like crazy and one of the stems actually started growing horizontal to the substrate and rooted itself. It then put out 2-3 shoots up off of the main horizontal substrate. So yes, horizontal stems will put out more plants, at least in my case.
I have a couple stem plants in my 55G that lean towards the light and they are sending out new shoots. It is pretty interesting how this works.

·
Nerd Alert.
5,719 Posts
Also, keep in mind to get plants that others want. Thats the hardest part in my opinion.

Definitely look into grow emersed though. No algae, grows faster (some plants at least), really cool, and easy and cheap. Just use a rubbermaid tub, throw some dirt and water in there, cover with plastic wrap, and put a shoplight over it. For $25 you can have a setup to grow the equivalent of two 55g aquariums.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also, keep in mind to get plants that others want. Thats the hardest part in my opinion.

Definitely look into grow emersed though. No algae, grows faster (some plants at least), really cool, and easy and cheap. Just use a rubbermaid tub, throw some dirt and water in there, cover with plastic wrap, and put a shoplight over it. For $25 you can have a setup to grow the equivalent of two 55g aquariums.
I'm actually wanting to do an emersed setup eventually. I'm still new to the game and want to get some experience under my belt before I do this (baby steps). I'm guessing emersed plants sell for a bit less? since the transition to immersed can sometimes affect the plant. This is the reason I like the idea of growing immersed. I'm definitely going to do it though eventually!

Since you bring up the topic of plants that others want. What are the most popular that I should definitely grow?

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
I personally don't tend to buy emersed plants and I don't think I am the only one. If it is rare or a plant that easily transitions, that may be an exception. I know that a lot of LFS get their plants emmersed and I tend to skip them as well. Some people may not care but a lot of us do.

When you do sell, please price them as a hobbyist and not like a business. There are some sellers on this site who are waaay overpriced.
I would skip the overpriced people if you don't want to overpay but for more than a few people on this site, it is a business, be it their income in whole are part their of. In addition, certain members, though not all charge a premium will get you vastly better plants. I personally don't need my plants to be excellent but I need them to be algae free, pest free, etc. I actually avoid buying plants of hobbyists more and more because it is more work for me to introduce algae, get rid of snails or other pests, or end up with bladderwort (Utricularia gibba) and other invasive plants that are impossible to get rid of. Have torn down a few tanks from U. gibba alone.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When you do sell, please price them as a hobbyist and not like a business. There are some sellers on this site who are waaay overpriced.
I agree to a point with this. I'm not going to sell for an extra income, really it is just going to help pay for the hobby. It would be nice if sales could pay for the hobby completely; I guess that would be my goal.

Either way I do plan on being fair and cheaper than most. I also plan on doing some nice raoks as well. I'm still in the planning stage until the next gallon per dollar sale comes around.

I'm budgeting about $1000 for my rack setup with 4 40b tanks. At least that is what I'm shooting for. Well see what happens though...

talontsiawd -- I agree with people rather buying immersed grown plants, I would rather buy them. And your right people can charge what they want... I don't buy from them, but people tend to praise their packages... So they must be doing something right...

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
talontsiawd -- I agree with people rather buying immersed grown plants, I would rather buy them. And your right people can charge what they want... I don't buy from them, but people tend to praise their packages... So they must be doing something right...
I actually don't buy a lot of plants online to be honest. I have plants from more than a few reputable sellers on the site that came my way though and they were very nice plants. If I needed more, I would consider paying a premium. I also know someone personally who sells amazing plants. Don't know his prices. I do know how much effort he takes to keep his plants very nice, and more so, how much effort he makes to get the buyer exactly what they purchased.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.