The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Can someone suggest me some fast growing stem plants. I recently planted Rotala Indica. I found that Hornwort is also fast growing, but from what I read they might be very hard to prune/clean. After almost 1 and half years, suddenly my tank (which is heavily planted) is battered with brown algae. I am taking all kinds of steps to avoid this (which is a separate thread in the Algae forum and I don’t want to repost it). One my plans is to introduce fast growing plants.

Thanks
Vineeth

·
Registered
505 Posts
Look into Hygrophila? Polysperma in particular.

As to Hornwort, I use it in a few of my tanks and haven't experienced any issue with pruning or cleaning. I use it floating on the surface. Just snip it in half and remove the old. It usually doesn't look old though. They do a good job of soaking up nutrients. :)

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Anacharis (Egeria Densa)
Myrio Green (Myriophyllum Pinnatum)
Ambulia (Limnophila Indica) - side benefit: virtually no air roots

Caveat: we know nothing about your setup.

Reactions: pauld738

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
The plant sold to you as Rotala indica is probably R. rotundifolia. The real indica has rounded leaves submersed and emersed and is slower growing. Also, species names are not supposed to be capitalized.

Shinnersia rivularis (Mexican oak leaf) is a weed among weeds. If you want something super fast growing , that's a good bet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The plant sold to you as Rotala indica is probably R. rotundifolia. The real indica has rounded leaves submersed and emersed and is slower growing. Also, species names are not supposed to be capitalized.

Shinnersia rivularis (Mexican oak leaf) is a weed among weeds. If you want something super fast growing , that's a good bet.
Thanks for the suggestion. I am aware of the confusion that is going on between indica and rotundifolia. I did receive indica that had rounded leaves. It has been in my tank for about a week now and at least until this point the growth has been extremely fast.

Bump:
Anacharis (Egeria Densa)

Thank you, I will try them out.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Anacharis (Egeria Densa)

Interesting to learn that Ambulia has virtually no air roots, which is a big plus. I like the feathery look of ambulia but am afraid it is too delicate for my rough fish. Is it as brittle as Myrio that will break apart easily.

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
Hi All,

Can someone suggest me some fast growing stem plants. I recently planted Rotala Indica. I found that Hornwort is also fast growing, but from what I read they might be very hard to prune/clean. After almost 1 and half years, suddenly my tank (which is heavily planted) is battered with brown algae. I am taking all kinds of steps to avoid this (which is a separate thread in the Algae forum and I don’t want to repost it). One my plans is to introduce fast growing plants.

Thanks
Vineeth
Pogostemon stellatus 'Octopus', very fast grower

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Interesting to learn that Ambulia has virtually no air roots, which is a big plus. I like the feathery look of ambulia but am afraid it is too delicate for my rough fish. Is it as brittle as Myrio that will break apart easily.
My experience with Myrio was similar to yours. in that it seemed to be 'dirty' in this way. The Ambulia is not nearly as fragile and even better, in that regard, than Cabomba. It grows quite thick and fast, at least in high light with CO2. In fact, I rarely see any pieces of it floating around.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts