The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a long established 20 gallon long aquarium that I want to add CO2 injection to. I plan on running the CO2 on a low level. I'm not looking for crazy growth, just consistent, healthy growth.

I want to get good quality equipment, but I would like to perform the upgrade for less than $200.

I think a 5lb tank would be best.

I'd like to get a combo regulator and solenoid. I think I want a dual stage regulator. It would be convenient if the regulator-solenoid combo also had a bubble counter too. What are some recommended products?

I don't have a canister filter so it'll have to be an in-tank diffuser. What are some good diffusers? Also, it sounds like I need special airline for the CO2. Is that correct?

·
Super Moderator
12,053 Posts
At that price point, you'd probably have to go with looking for bargains on eBay. A second hand dual stage regulator will still run you quite a bit, and you'd still want a half decent needle/metering valve. Don't forget the cost of the cylinder as well.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
I have a long established 20 gallon long aquarium that I want to add CO2 injection to. I plan on running the CO2 on a low level. I'm not looking for crazy growth, just consistent, healthy growth.

I want to get good quality equipment, but I would like to perform the upgrade for less than $200.

I'd like to get a combo regulator and solenoid. I think I want a dual stage regulator. It would be convenient if the regulator-solenoid combo also had a bubble counter too. What are some recommended products?

I don't have a canister filter so it'll have to be an in-tank diffuser. What are some good diffusers? Also, it sounds like I need special airline for the CO2. Is that correct?
It will be difficult to make this work at this exact price point. You are going to be looking at DIY options. A good used 2 stage regulator on ebay runs around 20-40 dollars. You can buy the post body parts in a kit from diyco2regulator.com for 100 dollars. That will leave you around 80-60 dollars for a tank. You can buy a new tank for around 70-80 dollars soooooo its doable. Other options include spending a bit more and buying a better post body kit from someone on this forum in the for sale section. Or spending 150 for just the regulator/post body kit and go with a co2art regulator.

Good luck!

·
Vendor
46 Posts

Hi There,
It sounds like you have done your homework already and know exactly what you’re looking for. I can say that our CO2 regulators are dual stage, have an integrated solenoid and come with a bubble counter attached. The regulator comes in under $150 brand new with three years warranty.
You are also correct regarding the tubing required. This must be CO2 resistant. Simple airline tubing will not work under high pressure and the CO2 will eventually corrode and cause fluctuations in your supply.
below is a link to our website. You will find one of our complete kits. The price is slightly above your $200 budget (only by $12) bit this would include absolutely everything needed minus the cylinder. Alternatively you can pick individual items such as a regulator, tubing and diffuser which would reduce the cost.

For an aquarium your size, I would recommend using our IO diffuser. These sit inside the aquarium and do not require any external filtration.
As mentioned above, this regulator comes with three years warranty plus a lifetime support via our online team. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I'll be going with the CO2art regulator-solenoid combo. I think it's wise to go with quality equipment here, and I'd rather buy new for my first set up. I'm not sure if I'll buy the full kit or not. I can't decide if I need the drop checker or not. Some say it's useless while others say it's really useful if you're a beginner.

Also, is $70-80 for an empty tank? A local air supplier will sell me a filled 5lb CO2 cylinder for $95 and refill for $24.

·
Super Moderator
12,053 Posts
Also, is $70-80 for an empty tank? A local air supplier will sell me a filled 5lb CO2 cylinder for $95 and refill for $24.
That seems expensive. I got a 10 pound cylinder filled for $80 (Canadian).

Granted, that was a steel cylinder, and not aluminum, so there might be a cost difference there.

If you can swing the space for a 10 pounder, get that rather than a 5 pound; the cost difference to refill should be negligible

·
Registered
583 Posts
I think I'll be going with the CO2art regulator-solenoid combo. I think it's wise to go with quality equipment here, and I'd rather buy new for my first set up. I'm not sure if I'll buy the full kit or not. I can't decide if I need the drop checker or not. Some say it's useless while others say it's really useful if you're a beginner.

It seems to be very location dependent. I looked at some options a couple of months ago and could not find anything for under $100 from local shops. I ended up buying an empty 5 lb cylinder online during the matine depot close out and had it filled locally at a fire extinguisher service company for $24.

Many years ago I purchased a cylinder online from beverage elements and they still seem to have some of the best prices on empty cylinders.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts