The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just starting out my first planted tank and need advice on how to fill in the gaps. I have heard that starting out heavily stocked with fast growing plants will help establish the tank. I would love to add some darker and lighter shades if possible but am open to whatever will help my tank out in the long run! Any help is appreciated!:)

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anybody? I am also looking for some height variety. I have bacopa and vals to add height but most of the plants I have seem to be mid-ground. I am looking for some foreground plants that grow quick.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Foreground plants usually don't grow fast, the fastest growing plants are mostly stem plants. You could try glossostigma, it is supposed to be quite the weed. Dwarf sag starts out short and will grow taller when it gets crowded.

Try to find wisteria, water sprite, maybe hornwort. Brazilian pennywort is a fast grower for me. Some people really like elodea and Cabomba, haven't had them for ages and don't remember how fast they grew. The sword plant you have in the middle looks like a shorter type, you could get Amazon sword, that will grow quite fast. Rotala rotundifolia and Ludwigia repens are easy stems that are good for filling out new tanks. Watch out, some Rotala and Ludwigia species are more difficult plants.

I would spread out the crypts more by dividing what you have into bunches about the size of the crypt on the right near the white rock. Foreground plants are great but get the tank filled in with fast growers for right now. I love pennywort and wisteria is terrific stuff as well.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help!

Thanks Kathyy! I will split up the large crypt before my next water change. I will also look for some hornwort or wisteria. I really appreciate the help!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts