The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had aquariums for over 20 years and decided to grow up and expand my plants from super easy java fern and swords to super easy stemmed plants lol. I never used liquid ferts, but regularly fed my swords root tabs. Anyway...I loaded the tank with pennywort and after a few weeks I got the brilliant idea to start dosing leaf zone and flourish trace. Now my beautiful easy plants are suffocating on rust colored algae. So I'm busted back to juvenile status in the plant world while fighting an issue that would not have occurred if I had left well enough alone 馃槶

Registered
Adulting IS hard!!! It's full of learning experiences, just like this one, eh? Don't worry, you're in good company; many of us long-timers here still have issues. Every day is a new thing to experience to gain a better understanding of planted tanks from.

Starting with Leaf Zone and Flourish Trace was a good idea. That being said, since most stem plants grow more quickly than Java Fern and Swords, they can also create imbalances more quickly.

Would you please give us a rundown of your system specs; light, hours of illumination, filtration, carbon supplementation, maintenance regimen, etc? That'll help give us a better idea of what may be going on so we can better help you.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Adulting IS hard!!! It's full of learning experiences, just like this one, eh? Don't worry, you're in good company; many of us long-timers here still have issues. Every day is a new thing to experience to gain a better understanding of planted tanks from.

Starting with Leaf Zone and Flourish Trace was a good idea. That being said, since most stem plants grow more quickly than Java Fern and Swords, they can also create imbalances more quickly.

Would you please give us a rundown of your system specs; light, hours of illumination, filtration, carbon supplementation, maintenance regimen, etc? That'll help give us a better idea of what may be going on so we can better help you.
It's a 90 gallon, room temperature (I'm in Arizona so average 76-78 degrees). Filtered with two eheim 2217 canisters (I rehomed another tank and kept the filter). Regimen is strict: wk1 right filter maintenance w/WC, wk 2&4 vac and 50% WC, wk3 left filter maint/WC. Nicrew skyled for 6 hours (had been 8 for years until recent events). No carbon, only root tabs before now

Registered
Heya, it's been a busy day. At first glance it sounds like a lack of carbon input is your main culprit. I'd highly suggest finding an option that fits your needs and budget. Keep in mind that the initial outlay for a pressurized system is high, but the long-term cost goes way down compared to liquid carbon supplements' cost over time.

Banned
First of all welcome to the forum.

Is this a new tank? Or new substrate? Or tank recently cycled? Rust colored algae are usually diatoms, a new tank syndrome. Other than that, I don't know of any rust colored algae. Does it wipe right off? If so, likely diatoms.

And like mentioned above, being all growed up in planted tank terms means injected CO2. But that depends on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go.

By the way, Leaf Zone only contains iron and potassium. Your tank may need NO3 and PO4 as well.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Is this a new tank? Or new substrate? Or tank recently cycled? Rust colored algae are usually diatoms, a new tank syndrome. Other than that, I don't know of any rust colored algae. Does it wipe right off? If so, likely diatoms.

And like mentioned above, being all growed up in planted tank terms means injected CO2. But that depends on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go.

By the way, Leaf Zone only contains iron and potassium. Your tank may need NO3 and PO4 as well.
[/QU

It's six years old and I've had the nicrew lights for about two years. Same angel/betta sorority/cory stock, same cleaning regimen. The only difference is the addition of stem plants and leaf zone/flourish trace. I have researched and found that ferts don't cause algae but it's the only thing that has changed in over two years. I've never had diatoms so not sure if this is what it is...it does come off between the fingers but my god, manually removing from a 90 gallon wall of pennywort doesn't sound like the average adulthood 馃槙

Banned
It's six years old and I've had the nicrew lights for about two years. Same angel/betta sorority/cory stock, same cleaning regimen. The only difference is the addition of stem plants and leaf zone/flourish trace. I have researched and found that ferts don't cause algae but it's the only thing that has changed in over two years. I've never had diatoms so not sure if this is what it is...it does come off between the fingers but my god, manually removing from a 90 gallon wall of pennywort doesn't sound like the average adulthood 馃槙
If it wipes right off, it's diatoms.

Good news is it usually temporary. Likely has nothing to do with ferts, unless you loaded a bunch in there and upset the balance of the tank. How much have you been dosing?

And with a tank that size, you will want to explore dry fertilizers. It will cost a fraction of the liquid ones.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it wipes right off, it's diatoms.

Good news is it usually temporary. Likely has nothing to do with ferts, unless you loaded a bunch in there and upset the balance of the tank. How much have you been dosing?

And with a tank that size, you will want to explore dry fertilizers. It will cost a fraction of the liquid ones.
20ml trace and 40ml leaf zone twice weekly on alternating days

Banned
20ml trace and 40ml leaf zone twice weekly on alternating days
Trace looks good, the Leaf Zone is about twice the recommended dosage.

Probably not a big deal, but I can't find anywhere it says what it is actually supplying to be sure.

In any case, with what you have in the tank, the recommended dose should be plenty.

But again, these ferts do not supply any NO4 or PO4. If you are going to continue to add stem plants, it's something you should look into.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Trace looks good, the Leaf Zone is about twice the recommended dosage.

Probably not a big deal, but I can't find anywhere it says what it is actually supplying to be sure.

In any case, with what you have in the tank, the recommended dose should be plenty.

But again, these ferts do not supply any NO4 or PO4. If you are going to continue to add stem plants, it's something you should look into.
Thanks Gregg for your help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.