The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first thread here on Planted Tank!
I am in the process of setting up a 29 gallon tank.
The stand is a 2x2 "Expedit" from Ikea.
I am building a top for this out of 1/2" MDF board to distribute the weight of the tank and to stop the tank from sinking into the top of the bookshelf.
(sorry for the picture quality, pics are taken with phone)
Here is the tank on the stand without the top:

Cutting the MDF:

Sanding:

MDF on the stand:

The MDF painted, still needs another coat:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is a really bad picture of my other tank, a 20 gallon tall:

It has various Crypts, and some Dwarf Sag in the front. The floating plant is some Water Lettuce. It came from a small pond we had over the summer. It is slowly adjusting to the aquarium setting.
There are 7 Harlequin Rasboras, 9 Variatus Platies, 2 Ottos and 5 Amano shrimp in this tank.

I'm hoping to do a similar plant-setup on the 29.
Here is a close up of the hardscape:

And here is the substrate I will be using:

Again, sorry for the crappy photo quality!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!
I was thinking some Amano Shrimp and Ottos but I'm not too sure yet for other fish.
Maybe some Rasboras or a group of other small schooling fish.
Got any suggestions?

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
Otos will not eat the shrimp.

I like that you want one big school instead of smaller groups of different fish.

So you could do:

Main schooling fish- Rummynose, pristella, black neon, or cardinal tetras are my favorite tetras

Bottem dweller- School of cories

Centerpeice fish- Pair of GBR

Cleanup crew- ottos and amano shrimp

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know from experience that Ottos will NOT eat shrimp.
Amanos can grow pretty big; too large for Ottos to eat. They don't even bother each other.
mitchfish9 - Thanks for the input, I was thinking of doing something similar to that. Although I haven't had Cories before.
Are GBR hard to keep?

I was considering a pair of angels even though some people say they're too big, but I've seen it done. What do you think?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since I am going to hang pendant lights over this tank, I was thinking of doing a planted HOB filter for my Top Fin 40.
Does anyone have experience with this?

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
I know from experience that Ottos will NOT eat shrimp.
Amanos can grow pretty big; too large for Ottos to eat. They don't even bother each other.
mitchfish9 - Thanks for the input, I was thinking of doing something similar to that. Although I haven't had Cories before.
Are GBR hard to keep?

I was considering a pair of angels even though some people say they're too big, but I've seen it done. What do you think?
Cories are very easy and one of the most entertaining fish you will ever keep. And I think in the long run, a 29 is on the small side for angels, and they will look somewhat cramped in there, plus your other stocking options would be limited.

If you google about GBR, you will get information about them that they are very sensitive and that is not really true. Mine are thriving in my tank, and I have only have about 6 or 7 months of fish keeping experience.

The key with rams, and other "sensitive fish" is to get them from a good source. Online breeders/suppliers beat out LFS's 9 times out of 10 these days. 90% of the battle is getting healthy fish from a good place, even hardier fish such as tetras or cories.

Check out "matt 13" and pm them, they have some of the best rams bred and raised in chicago tap water, which shows how hardy they are with good genetics. These GBR's would be the perfect centerpiece fish for your tank.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, so Angelfish are out of the picture now.
Also, I will look more into GBR. At the Big Al's near me, I saw some very healthy looking ones. I don't feel very comfortable shipping in fish, especially because winter is approaching.

Sorry for the time without updates, I'm just trying to get this started up and I have more time on the weekends.
Just painted the MDF with its third and hopefully final coat:

I am going to let this dry before putting the tank on it; I really don't want the tank to stick to the paint.
Hopefully by next weekend this tank will be filled.
Still gotta hang the lights which is another story! :eek5:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We have progress!!! :bounce:
The pendant lights are hung, and the tank is planted!

There are:
1x Sagittaria platyphylla
6x Crypt Wendtii Green
Hope to add a lot more though!
Still need shades for the lights but happy to see we are getting somewhere! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh and does anyone know what's wrong with my pictures?
I didn't do anything to them; they are still on my Photobucket!:mad:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks!
The one piece is real wood, the other is a fake rock/log.
I hope to attach Anubias and Java Fern to the wood.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts