The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are the current parameters:

pH: 8.0
kH: ~100 ppm, maybe a little more, 115-125?
gH: ~200 ppm, maybe a little less, 190?
Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate: None measureable
Temp: ~73.5F

I need to lower the pH for them, any recommendations on how to do this? I'm using ADA's Aquasoil, which I'm told should help lower it, but it's still a bit high.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
What did you start with in from the tap?

I have High pH out the tap which is about 8ph and kh/gh is about 9-12 and the aquasoil brought it all down quite a bit.... what else do you have in the tank and are you sure your test kit is accurate?

I wouldn't do co2 unless you have good amount of plants in there soaking it up and try to do it were you can keep it stable.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll check tap water parameters tomorrow, don't think I read the chart properly earlier though.

It took 7 drops for kH, 10-11 for gH. According to the conversion chart, degrees of KH should be 7, and ppm for GH is around 180-197.

Am I reading this properly?

I've had this tank running since December btw, and it's gone through many water changes.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wouldn't do co2 unless you have good amount of plants in there soaking it up and try to do it were you can keep it stable.
I can do a DIY CO2 setup easily, wanted to avoid the cost of a pressurized setup though. This wouldn't be very consistent though, but I do have tons of plants - rotala indica along the back, subwassertang or however it's spelled, tons of java moss, some fissidens species moss, and a few java ferns.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
If it took 7 drops for the kh then it's roughly 7dKH
the 10-11 drops for the Gh should make it 10-11dGH

either multiplied by 17.9 I believe to give you the ppm but you don't seem that far from what I get from the tap so I am curious as to why your AS is not lowering it. Do you have a good thick layer of AS?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I get RO for 25cents a gallon the PH is 6.4... but if you mix it with tap water and hold your hardness's at the same time you might get your ph down to 7-7.2 and have your gh & kh at 2-4 stretching it on the 4 thats what im thinking will happen....So this is what i would do and i have five, 5gallon water cooler juggs. I would ad all RO water with 1 teaspoon of R/O Right per 5 gallons. but thats me and i have easy access to R/O..I read that carbon dioxide bring your PH down If you have some of that around somewhere..whatever dont aerate that releases the crbon dioxcide and raises the ph. if you got peat moss around that will lower your hardness and your ph.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you have a good thick layer of AS?

Yes - used a 9 liter bag in my 60cm ADA tank (smallest of 60cm's available). I think it's 4 inches in the back and maybe 2 inches in the front, with a layer of powersand below all of this. I went with what Jeff Senske recommended, he seems to be very knowledgeable.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I get RO for 25cents a gallon the PH is 6.4... but if you mix it with tap water and hold your hardness's at the same time you might get your ph down to 7-7.2 and have your gh & kh at 2-4 stretching it on the 4 thats what im thinking will happen....So this is what i would do and i have five, 5gallon water cooler juggs. I would ad all RO water with 1 teaspoon of R/O Right per 5 gallons. but thats me and i have easy access to R/O..I read that carbon dioxide bring your PH down If you have some of that around somewhere..whatever dont aerate that releases the crbon dioxcide and raises the ph. if you got peat moss around that will lower your hardness and your ph.
R/O water isn't an issue at all, it's something like 50 cents per gallon at a local aquarium hobby shop and maybe all of half a mile away.

You recommend 100% R/O water though? I've always thought that would be a hassle because tap water has a lot of things in it that R/O water might be missing, right? Or does R/O Right take care of all of that?

·
Registered
274 Posts
R/O Right only adds some hardness and you dont have to worry about minerals like copper and such.. if you have a 2 quart bowl and 1 quart of R/O water first then and tap water till you get the readings you are looking for remember R/O first then tap second because tap is stronger than R/O and overpowers it in a sense.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I happen to have a chart for grade a crs water peramaters youll like this your waters fine. grade A's are more tolerate than higher grades because they havent been inbreed as much as the higher grades it takes them awhile to get adjusted to there new home like up two 2 months sometimes just keep toxins out of your tank and take your time about lowing your ph if you change the ph real slow you wont hurt them...or take them out of the tank before you lower the ph then acclamate them about 1/2 cup of tank water ever 15-20 minutes for 1-1 1/2 hours

·
Registered
274 Posts
R/O water isn't an issue at all, it's something like 50 cents per gallon at a local aquarium hobby shop and maybe all of half a mile away.

You recommend 100% R/O water though? I've always thought that would be a hassle because tap water has a lot of things in it that R/O water might be missing, right? Or does R/O Right take care of all of that?
Think if R/O's is a big hassel why is the local aquarium hobby shop selling it for 50cents a gallon must be something good about it...I dont know I just use it and my tank has never been cleaner. I just did 20% water changes once every week or two.. and if my plants need minerals i use tap water somtimes

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I do 50% on my now CRS tank and it get's 5g of RO and the rest of the water change is Tap but that was done to keep Tonina Belems alive but since that is gone now I do all tap and still have low params.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmm... something odd - tap water's pH is 7.6, while the tank's pH is 8.0

I think the test kits are right, I've confirmed with 3 different sets. I have two test kits for the 6.0-7.6 range and another test kit I got recently for 7.4-8.8.

Here's my entire setup:
ADA 60cm tank
Eheim 2232 filter
1x 3 liter bag powersand (medium I believe)
1x 9 liter bag Amazonia Aquasoil
Tons of java moss, java ferns, 15-20 stems rotala indica, fissidens species moss, 2 pieces of driftwood (one is maybe 50 cm long while other is 25cm or so).

Inside the filter, I've got their media balls, coarse/fine filter pads, and lastly some Purigen that I used to clean up the tank.

Even before the Purigen, the water was this same pH.

Note to self: I hope it's not the Aquasoil... I don't want to have to redo my tank and everything involved in that. Everything has been growing in there for 4 months or so and I don't want to have to spend another 4-5 months getting it to where it is because it takes time for the plants to establish their roots properly and get adjusted to the growing environment.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I would start off with smaller changes. If you've been doing 100% tap this whole time, going to 90% RO is going to totally whack your KH and GH. Do a 20% water change, wait a day or two and do a 50%. I wouldn't do more than that for a week. I personally do about 75% RO and 25% tap with HARD San Diego water. Your KH is currently around 6.4 degrees and GH is around 10.6. Doing 90% would bottom those out (probably less than 1 degree each) and would definitely be a shock, not only to your shrimp, but to your plants as well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.