The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 4 bulb T5HO fixture that I'm using over my tank because I used to have it over my reef tank. I took out the actinic bulbs and put in some 4600Ks I found at Home Depot. The only problem is that they produce way too much light. I want to know how to reduce it some.

Somehow this just occurred to me the other day, but I took one bulb out of each "channel" (since the 4600Ks and Aquablue+s are on separate timers) to halve the output. I'm not sure if this is still too strong, since I have no super demanding plants and no plans at the moment to do CO2 or intense fert schedules to keep up with light/CO2.

P.S. I know that a random 4600K bulb and a Geisemann Aquablue+ makes for a terrible combination over a planted tank but it makes an absolutely stunning bright white, almost like daylight. The 4600K is really yellow (as it's supposed to be), and the AB+ is blue, but they balance very well into what looks like one full-spectrum lamp.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I currently run 4 X 54 watt T5 bulb's over 80 gal low tech ,NON CO2 tank but must hang the light ten inches above the surface of the water, or close to 22 inches above the substrate or it is too much= algae.(substrate close to four inches deep).
I made a support for the light out of electrical conduit and a couple elbow's plus a few C clamps.
I have also used window screen found at hardware store to shade the light a bit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.