The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just posted a great new video from ADG/ADA-US of a series of installs at Picasso Exotic Aquatics in Leawood, Kansas. They installed some freshwater and marine show tanks for them. The video, as usual from ADG, is incredibly well produced. We invite you to check it out. There are some surprises...like plastic plants!

http://www.tankgeek.com/2010/12/30/adg-install-picasso-exotics/

· Registered
486 Posts
I would imagine that many of their customers would want minimal maintenance, so the need to set up tanks with fake plants and coral. Hopefully they will have some beautiful planted tanks as well.

· Registered
1,831 Posts
It takes a lot of expertise, as all of you know, to properly do an inspiring planted aquarium and a lot of long-term maintenance. For example - it takes more maintenance to keep the 60-P display perfect at ADG than it does to keep a 300 gallon hardscape only discus aquarium perfect in the same space - I'm talking like 30 minutes every two weeks to keep the 300 gallon tank perfect and at the very minimum spending one to two hours a week keeping the 17.7 planted aquarium perfect. The same goes for coral.

Since we aren't local to Kansas City (and thus aren't the people who will be maintaining the aquarium layouts), we provided something that was functional, easy to maintain and inspirational that could be kept up pristinely by the owners.

We could have set up one of the best planted or reef aquarium layouts in the world for them - but it would have amounted to nothing but wasted revenue within a month. The alternative provides instant impact and longevity. It's not like these are petsmart plastic plants, and it's a pretty far cry from anything clown-puke gravel related. In this case it was a simple act of fulfilling the clients needs and requests.

· Registered
366 Posts
As for the fake plants and corals.... I think real would have been better, but maybe they can replace the fake with the real stuff later on when they get things rolling. Quote~

I really hope this is the plan, because otherwise Eww. I would rather see an air driven scuba diver in a show tank then that....stuff
Not a great way to promote the tanks or the new lfs imho

I suppose it makes good business sense to offer the low maintenance approach as well, but why would you want that in your front display windows turning a beautiful high end lfs into a dollar store front.

I do of course LOVE the driftwood pieces that were chosen

· Registered
3,612 Posts
Question for you Mr. Wazeter. Where do you get the fake plants? Yet again, some great tank builds from you guys. I especially like the half moon paludarium setup. Very cool.

· Registered
1,296 Posts
I couldn't get the fake plants out of my head after seeing that video. For a premium shop like this, using exclusively fake plants and corals is inexcusable. Shops like these are supposed to serve as inspiration and a launch pad for new hobbyists, but when all the display tanks are filled with nothing but fakes, the customer might as well go to Petsmart. If the shop owner specifically requested fakes because they're low maintenance, clearly dedicating adequate time for upkeep isn't a priority for them. I can picture all those fake plants being covered in algae in a few months. Might as well get plastic fishes while they're at it.

I laughed when I saw the guy set up all that expensive equipment for the saltwater tank filled with a ton of "high-end" fake corals.

-1 for ADG. That's just embarrassing.

· Registered
3,612 Posts
Hey Jake, we have them custom crafted - if you are interested in some particular size and shapes then we can get a custom invoice for you for them.
Ok, thanks! I was just wondering, as I had never seen them before. Purely out of curiosity, do you guys use fake stem plants?

· Registered
1,296 Posts
For example - it takes more maintenance to keep the 60-P display perfect at ADG than it does to keep a 300 gallon hardscape only discus aquarium perfect in the same space - I'm talking like 30 minutes every two weeks to keep the 300 gallon tank perfect and at the very minimum spending one to two hours a week keeping the 17.7 planted aquarium perfect.
That doesn't sound excessive to me at all. Remember, this is a retail shop, not a hobbyist's tanks. A few hours a week versus having all fake plants and corals...that's tough choice. :rolleyes:

· Registered
3,612 Posts
That doesn't sound excessive to me at all. Remember, this is a retail shop, not a hobbyist's tanks. A few hours a week versus having all fake plants and corals...that's tough choice. :rolleyes:
What about the costs? All that coral/plants material and equipment cost a heck of a lot of moola. It was a good choice by ADG and the store to make them unplanted. I do agree though that the fake corals look horrid. Dead corals and rocks would have looked much better IMO. :proud:

· Premium Member
7,697 Posts
I suppose when it comes down to it, its the stores choice. Hopefully they'll be good owners and slowly switch them over. By the looks of it they have the $$$ to do what they want to.

On a more positive note, great work on the video. Your videos are always top notch. Just seeing the size of, or the equipment in either one of those displays makes me want to scape the crap out of them :)

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.