The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Someone I know is giving away her 2 ADF's and I'd love to take them in. I have a 40g hex thank that is quite understocked, but it's about 24" tall, and I've read that they're not good swimmers and 18" is about the max height for them. The tank is well planted with dwarf sag, java fern and java moss, and the various items the moss and ferns are attached to top out in all levels of the tank. When I say well planted I mean about 8 years worth of growth that gets trimmed back/pulled out now and then, so it's very full and fills up much of the tank. Would the frogs use the plants to rest on and help them get to the top for air? I certainly don't want them to drown - just not sure how smart they are about getting to the top.

Here's a pic of the tank from a year ago right after I had pulled out alot of growth, to give you an idea of the plants. It's quite a bit fuller than this most of the time.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
I would say yes your tank is too tall for ADF, I had a few in my 30gal but they really struggled. I reset up my 10gal for a betta who was also struggling in the bigger tank & the frogs are much happier!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.