The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started a low light tank and the plants in it now are one's I've had in my other tanks for the past year. Essentially I'm a bit tired of the same plants.

Right now I'm using anubias, java fern, needle java fern, dwarf sag, green crypt wendtii, and christmas moss.

I feel I should know this, but I haven't gotten any new plants in a while and so I'm a bit rusty. So, what other low light plant options are there?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
If you go to the Low Tech Forum, there is a sticky at the top of the page with lists of low light plants, maybe you will find something there...

PS, I'm surprised it's not a sticky in the Plant Forum!

·
Registered
852 Posts
I think you find most plants will grow just at a very very slow rate so skies the limit. This is particularly true with plants known as highlight plants you might try some Crypts, There are a number of varieties to pick from I am fond of parva. Take a breeze through the plant section the planted tank has one of the best on the web

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I could add that a couple of plants that do very well for me (all low light tanks) are pennywort - which I've found I prefer as a floater, crinum, bolbitis, and various swords.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you go to the Low Tech Forum, there is a sticky at the top of the page with lists of low light plants, maybe you will find something there...

PS, I'm surprised it's not a sticky in the Plant Forum!
Wow, I apparently didn't do my research. I'm headed there now.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I've got pogostemon erectus doing surprisingly well in under 2 wpg. Rotala macandra and jungle vals also do well for me. Swords, mariselea minuta, ludwigia, and most crypts do well too.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've got pogostemon erectus doing surprisingly well in under 2 wpg. Rotala macandra and jungle vals also do well for me. Swords, mariselea minuta, ludwigia, and most crypts do well too.
How brittle is the pogostemon? I could see it possibly being annoying to clean up leaves that die off if it comes to that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.