The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any suggestions for a powerhead which is very small and where the outflow can be adjusted to push water from the top left corner of a tank to the bottom middle and right side to help push the CO2 bubbles from my atomizer around better.

I've currently got a Marineland C-220 filter and have a 30 gallon tank (about 7x turnover/hr). I think I should stay under 200gph additional as to not create too much flow in the tank.

I'm looking at the Maxi-Jet 400 or 600, Hydor Pico Evo-Mag 180, or the Koralia Nano 240 (though I think this will create too much flow).

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
They all will work fine. The Koralia nano has a broad flow so it is not as powerful as you think. The rest have a more narrow flow and will hit things in their path with more force. Do not use the circulation pump parts on the Maxi-Jets as this increases the flow by about 4x the normal flow.

·
Registered
803 Posts
They all will work fine. The Koralia nano has a broad flow so it is not as powerful as you think. The rest have a more narrow flow and will hit things in their path with more force. Do not use the circulation pump parts on the Maxi-Jets as this increases the flow by about 4x the normal flow.
Sorry to thread hijack, OP, but I have a small question about the nano... Would it be good to use to keep stuff from settling on the bottom of a 48"x12" tank? I don't need extra circulation, I'd just like for fish poo, uneaten food, and plant detritus to not settle in one place on my sand and be pushed to the other side of the tank towards the pump intake.

·
Registered
627 Posts
+1 for nano. Have it running on a 29g. Replaced a maxijet. The maxijet had to be pointed directly at the front glass because it had such a concentrated flow. With the sponge filter, it was a huge eyesore.

The nano creates a cone for good general movement. I keep mine near the front glass and it creates a stream the rainbows dive in and out of. I turn it off for feeding. It is much sleeker looking, and because of it I have decided I prefer magnetic connections to suction cups.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.