The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already posted this in the invertebrates category. I'm re-posting it here to try to get more responses, I hope that's okay.
I just set up a 35 gallon tall tank and I'm considering adding some type of worm to help aerate the dirt. I've been trying to seek out info about worms in the substrate on the web, but most of what I come across is just info about how to get rid of them. Once the tank is cycled I'm planning on adding Sparkling Gouramis and other tiny (around 1") fish. Does anyone have any suggestions for what type of worms will aerate the dirt and be a food source for the fish once they are added? Also, I know this may be a silly question but, will the worms be okay while the tank is going through a fishless cycle? I'm just wondering if they will survive, or in some way be tainted from the high ammonia and nitrite levels during cycling.

·
Registered
762 Posts
The most common worm for keep substrate aerated would be blackworms, found at many local shops as live food or online on sites such as: http://www.aquaticfoods.com/

They would not do well in a high ammonia environment, so would be best to wait until after the cycle to add them.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'd like to jump in on this, as it's really interesting to me. To the affect of aerating the dirt, I have a cap of sand on my tank. Would that pose a problem? Would the dirt end up mixed with sand because of the worms moving around?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd like to jump in on this, as it's really interesting to me. To the affect of aerating the dirt, I have a cap of sand on my tank. Would that pose a problem? Would the dirt end up mixed with sand because of the worms moving around?
I also have a sand cap and that's a good question. I do remember reading a post about someone seeing an accumulation of dirt and/or worm poop in tiny mounds around where they had stuck out of the sand.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
why not just add trumpet snails?
I actually really like snails and the other tanks I have are full of them, but I was hoping for something that the fish that I'm planning on keeping could hunt. Although I'm not sure if such tiny fish could tackle blackworms or not. If the fish seemed to completely wipe out the population then I might consider going with MTS.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I also have a sand cap and that's a good question. I do remember reading a post about someone seeing an accumulation of dirt and/or worm poop in tiny mounds around where they had stuck out of the sand.
I think you refer to this thread What is digging up my dirt?

·
Registered
824 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have been looking for a thread like this. Was always interested in worms as everyone else seemed to have them and cant get rid of them, while im just sitting here like "um, can I have some?" Would buy them but not sure as to what ones I should buy.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
I bought extra California Black Worms and added them to all my tanks. Not sure how they are doing- plants are so dense I cannot see the substrate.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts