The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hiya

A few moths ago I went wading around my local swamp through several feet of silt and sludge to collect a few interesting wild growing plants that arent normally found in aquaria. After quarentine and all of that stuff, I lost intrest in raising all of the plants but one, Brasenia schreberi or Water Shield. It seems like a lilly or lotus with thick green leaves with purple/red stems and bottoms, except for it grows this slippery membrane on the underside (never seen something like that before). It doesnt seem too picky about light, in short it seems like a really cool plant to throw into my main tank and let it take off. My question is - I know there are various bleach or peroxide baths that kill many pathogens that might be on a wild plant, but I havent found any instructions to making such a bath and in what concentration. Are there any other preventative measures that I should take before introducing it?

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
bleach dip it in a 20:1 water:bleach solution for 1 minute, roots and all.
rinse it well, the let it soak in water plus dechlor for hour or two.
that should kill any algae or other nasties it's carrying with it.
obviously if the plant was grown in very polluted waters,
heavy metals and other poisons won't be removed by bleach.
keep in mind that such plants are often bog plants which seem to
do well immersed, but parts may end up rotting a few months later.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help, I think I have removed most if not all of the trace minerals that might have been present in the plants. Over the last few months I have removed and let the plant regrow all of its leaves. Also - it seems to do fine in my 10 Gal quarentine. I was reading some scientific literature on it earlier, and though I have never heard it done, I havent found any reason it couldnt be kept in an aquarium.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I've seen that one before! They used to sell it in the LFS where I worked as a pond plant, but it grew great in aquariums. I had almost forgotten about it! That's cool that you have some, and I think spy is right, I bet there will be demand for it once you get it growing really well. ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I just got finished trimming my three specimines up, they dont look like very much anything right now but here are some other pictures of water shield out there that I found when I was trying to ID the plant (yep this is definately it). Look at the slimey undercoating it grows - weird huh. It never got that thick on my plants but maybe it will under the right conditions? Aparently the plant has these hairlike glands that secrete and clean the protective membrane.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I personally Don't worry too much about this stuff, I personally just wash plants off really good and then throw them into tank! But then again, I don't have tooo much in the tank so I don't worry..... and Most places I collect plants are really clean.

Thats a really cool plant! I collected some over the summer but didn't do too well in my tanks.

hiya

A few moths ago I went wading around my local swamp through several feet of silt and sludge to collect a few interesting wild growing plants that arent normally found in aquaria. After quarentine and all of that stuff, I lost intrest in raising all of the plants but one, Brasenia schreberi or Water Shield. It seems like a lilly or lotus with thick green leaves with purple/red stems and bottoms, except for it grows this slippery membrane on the underside (never seen something like that before). It doesnt seem too picky about light, in short it seems like a really cool plant to throw into my main tank and let it take off. My question is - I know there are various bleach or peroxide baths that kill many pathogens that might be on a wild plant, but I havent found any instructions to making such a bath and in what concentration. Are there any other preventative measures that I should take before introducing it?

·
Banned
1,502 Posts
Just googled it and look what I found :)

Edible Uses
Leaves; Root.

The young curled leaf tips, which are coated with a thick transparent mucilage, are eaten as a salad with vinegar, sake and soy sauce, or they added to soups as a thickener[106, 159, 183]. Considered a great delicacy in Japan where they are often bottled and sold in local markets[183]. They are mainly used in the spring[46]. A nutritional analysis is available[218].

Root - cooked[2, 106, 177]. Peeled then boiled and eaten, they can also be dried and stored for later use or ground into a powder[183].

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
starting to grow back. my three bulbs are sprowting new leaves. As soon as one is healthy enough I will throw it into a bath and plant it into my big tank. It might be a couple of months until I will have a good looking pic in one of my tanks to show you - I first have to figure out how to overdrive my lights (thats another thread). As soon as its ready I will post pic

·
Registered
234 Posts
hey i have had that in my turtle tank , they ate it but if im not mistaken it likes low light because when i had mine it was in a 10 under incandesent bulbs and it grew like crazy. they are very common in the wild of the north of canada. turtles love it :D .

JORDAN

1 - 12 of 12 Posts