The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so my girlfriend has an already cycled 30gal tank, with a cascade 400 filtration system. She has all artificial plants at the moment, except for the 2 live plants in the tank as of now, and they're two small Anubis Nana's. I was wondering what they need as far as care? I know they are a VERY easy plant, but also a very slow growing plant. I have a bottle of Aqueon plant food, a bottle of API co2 booster, and a bottle of Seachem Flourish. Was just curious if I should be dosing all three? Not too knowledgeable when it comes to this stuff so any help would be great! Do I need all of these? I honestly don't trust the instruction because I have read so many different things online, and I was assuming the fact that I only have 2 plants would make a difference also. :help: :help: :help:

ALSO
Just incase it matters, I have one decent sized pleco, 1 albino rainbow shark, 1 crawfish, 1 fiddler crab, 1 Mississippi map turtle, 1 bala shark(who I will be rehoming), about 15 feeder fish, 3 ghost shrimp and an eel that I am not sure the name of.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Two small slow growing plants like anubias wont make much of a difference. I even doubt dosing is required. Do you have all those fish and turtles etc in a 30g tank?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
Yes I do, the bala is being rehomed soon, and I was told a 30 gal wasn't a bad size for map turtles. and all the fish are juveniles at the moment. But everyone seems to be acting as the would in a normal habitat, lots of activity.

Bump:
If they are the only two plants in the tank, you don't want to go overboard with the fertilization because it'll likely cause a lot of unwanted algae. Anubias are very undemanding and will be just fine as long as the tank has even halfway descent light.
Well the only light I have is the light for the turtle. which is pointing to his basking area. It gets light from being on my porch(yes I know that creates algae but no direct sun hits it) and a little light leaks into the tank. but ive heard that Anubias can actually thrive in shade, so that's why I was hoping to use the ferts instead of good lighting. Will this work?

·
Registered
192 Posts
ive heard that Anubias can actually thrive in shade
Very true. Bright light can actually damage them, or at the very least result in them being smothered in algae.

Do you get algae in the tank in the area where you want to put the anubias?

so that's why I was hoping to use the ferts instead of good lighting. Will this work?
Doesn't work like that. Extra fertilizer doesn't make up for a lack of lighting. Plants need three basic things, light, CO2, and fertilization. These must all be in the correct ratios. Too much of one is at best useless and at worst will kill everything in the tank. Luckily for you, the animals in the tank are already providing plenty of fertilizer, the sunlight is probably adequate for anubias, and CO2 is unnecessary in a "low-tech" tank.

You might also look into crypts. These are another good low-light plant. "Crypt wendtii" is a good on to try.

EDIT: I never actually answered your question! With only two anubias, you probably don't need to add any of those products. The best thing to do now is just watch and wait. Take some pictures of the anubias and check back in a few weeks to see if they've started growing any new leaves. If something is missing we can tell you based on the pictures.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts