The Planted Tank Forum banner

adding some fluval stratum without removing fish?

6566 2
Howdy!
I currently have a 10 gallon planted tank (amazon swords and water wisteria) with one male betta, around 8 or so ghost shrimp, one trapdoor snail, and an indeterminate amount of ramshorns.
The tank is fully cycled, with a 25% water change done weekly/frequent stirring up of the substrate to avoid any toxic pockets, and is running wonderfully!
However, the substrate is just Carribsea sand (about an inch deep), and I was looking to plant some carpeting grass, specifically Monte Carlo.
I was wondering if it'd at all be possible to just add a small amount of fluval stratum over the top of the sand in the places I plan to plant on WITHOUT removing my fish and shrimp? None of them mind me sticking my hands in there and moving stuff around at all, so I know I'm not going to scare them. I'm just wondering if the fluval is going to cause a mini cycle or leech out ammonia or something that might affect them? I was planning on using the bottle or funnel method of slowly adding the stratum to avoid too much clouding.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
At an inch deep I highly doubt you would ever have issues with that sand. The fluval stratum from what I understand doesnt add much to the equation for the plants. The monte carlo can root in the sand just fine and without anything to disturb it will do fine. You could add some more sand to get a little deeper and use a couple root tabs.

Sounds like you have a setup that works fine, if the swords and wisteria can root in the sand you have I dont see changing it other then for looks.

Thats just my opinion however. My baby tears or monte carlo or whatever it was did fine rooting in my PFS, and it did grow, just in my low tech tank it wasnt taking off and to be honest I didnt feel like doing the trim and plant thing to really get a carpet. They just grew very slow in my setup but the roots were good and relatively deep.

·
snails are your friend
3,092 Posts
Agree 100% with @Quint, I don't think that's going to change your luck growing MC a whole lot. Growing carpets in low tech isn't easy. Or well, I should say is very slow. Most plants grow upward towards the light in low light no CO2 tanks. I've had the best luck with microsword if you're okay with a monkey grass carpet. And I haven't used Fluval's brand, but do be aware that most aqua soils leech ammonia at first.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.