The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
The only potential issue would be with the dwarf gourami, but there's no way to know without trying it. If it were me, and my gourami wasn't particularly aggressive I would try it. It's been done before without any problems, but there's no guarantee with DG - they can be real jerks when they want to be.

·
Banned
628 Posts
Are Dwarf Gouramis worse than Honey Gouramis? So far my Honey Gouramis have left the Amanos alone. One of my Amano chased my Angelfish a couple of times the other day. Now if the Angelfish were starving would it be good for a shrimp to do that? I would say keep your fish fed to keep the shrimp safe. Things are working out well in my tank. But maybe I've just made a Shrimp Rockefeller for my fish.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone! My DG is not very aggressive at all. I’ve had him for 6 months and maybe only seen him be territorial a few times after an evening feed and only with the platies. He’s always been perfectly fine with the corys. I’m leaning towards adding them in but my one concern is just the “air traffic” with all of them whipping around everywhere.

·
Registered
351 Posts
My dwarf gouramis eat my shrimp fry and bite off the antennae on my mystery snails. They don't seem to mess with the adult shrimp or nerites and bladder snails. My biggest issue with them is fish aggression, even in large heavily planted tanks. I need to find them a home...

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
If the DG isn't going for the nerites' fleshy bits, I'd say it's probably relatively safe with amanos. I agree that the DG is going to be the major point of contention in the tank. If you've got a 20L, you could probably increase it to 8 amanos anyways. I would, however, make sure there's space for the amanos to hide after their molts, as that is when they're the most vulnerable.

All fish can kill shrimp beyond small sucker fish like otos and Borneo suckers
I know I shouldn't feed the mini racist troll, but info is at stake here.

The information you're quoting is about dwarf shrimp. Neocaridinas, some Caridinas, and Sulawesi shrimp. NOT Amano shrimp which are definitely not dwarf shrimp and get to about 2" long. Same goes for Atyas and other larger shrimp.

Furthermore, amano shrimp aren't going to give you viable shrimplets like the dwarf shrimps will do. Their larvae require rearing in saltwater. In general, this same information applies to the other larger shrimp as well.

And counterpoint: chili rasboras. They're like, 1/4 the size of my amano shrimp, if that. Dwarf shrimplets? Maybe. But certainly not juvenile post-meta amanos like you'll find at the pet stores.

·
Super Moderator
17,177 Posts
If you have an issue with another member, USE THE REPORT FUNCTION!

Amano Shrimp are dwarf shrimp. They're larger and hardier - sometimes even attacking any small fish if they can catch them - but they're still dwarf shrimp.

Chili Rasboras can and will harass and/or harm and hunt shrimp and critters of any size - including Amanos. Source: Me, someone who has kept shrimp with every kind of Raspbora available in the hobby. Use the search function here on the forum for more details from others.

Rule of thumb: If it can fit in their mouth? It can be a meal. If you want shrimp without predation? Don't mix them with fish.

·
Banned
628 Posts
I have a relevant update. When I first put my Amano in I didn't see all of them for a few weeks. The Angelfish was picking on them and I didn't think it was going to work out. I was worried about the Amanos. I thought they were fragile. So I did everything I could think of to keep them healthy. I thought it would be a good idea to feed the fish first to keep the shrimp safe. But now the situation has changed and the shrimp are coming up midwater to steal the fish's food. They are kind of aggressive. I no longer feel sorry for them and I wish the Angelfish would chase them back into hiding. Seriously. Today I fed the Amanos first to try to get them to leave the other fish alone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.