The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so this is a waaayyyyys away for me, but once I get my tank all set up, and cycle it with the fishless cycle methed, and am ready to add fish... How do I go about that?

I am wanting to do a school or cardinal tetras, or harlequin rasboras, or maybe a school of each?

Will be a 40 gallon breeder.

How many can I add at once? Coming from saltwater, the rule of thumb was to only add one fish at a time, and give it about 30 days for the tank to adjust bioload, etc...

I know that isn't the case for freshwater with small schooling fish, but how many is a safe level to go for at once?

Thanks
-Scott

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
Fishless cycling enables you to add all of your bioload at the same time, because what you should be doing during the fishless cycling is adding the ammonia equivalent to a fully stocked 40 breeder. But if you prefer to add the stock slower, maybe get about 5-6 fish(depending on the fish) each week so the BB can catch up. And yet another scenario is if you are getting fish shipped. Then you probably want to do the entire school and feed sparingly for a week to give the bacteria a chance once more to catch up to the bioload.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That makes perfect sense, thank you!

So now the only other question I'd have is not strictly relative to this thread, but in an effort not to clutter the forum, I'll try asking there.

What do you guys think would look better? 2 smaller schools (about 15 fish each) of cardinal tetras and harlequin rasboras (or other schooling fish that might look better? Or one bigger school of the same fish?

Any opinions on what looks best?

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
That makes perfect sense, thank you!

So now the only other question I'd have is not strictly relative to this thread, but in an effort not to clutter the forum, I'll try asking there.

What do you guys think would look better? 2 smaller schools (about 15 fish each) of cardinal tetras and harlequin rasboras (or other schooling fish that might look better? Or one bigger school of the same fish?

Any opinions on what looks best?
Your welcome!

Its a hard choice for deciding between 2 smaller or 1 bigger school. It is personal preference really, but for a 40 breeder what I would do is two schools with tetras(or rasboras) that compliment each others colors really well.

For example: Cardinal tetras you mentioned with a tetra with nice yellow(Lemon, pristella), or a nice specimens of Black neon tetra to contrast cardinals with black. See where I'm coming from? I will actually use a rummynose/black neon combination in my tank pretty soon.

The reason I personally would do cardinals/harlequins because they are both red. Well the harlequin is more salmon color but still...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.