The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I have a 200L planted tank with 2x JBL natur 85-110 lights. These two lights emmit just white lights.. i would like to enhance more red from my plants.. has anyone even done a DIY red led strip to add the hint of red to get brighter colours?

If so please share your experience!

·
Registered
13,080 Posts
Hi all!

I have a 200L planted tank with 2x JBL natur 85-110 lights. These two lights emmit just white lights.. i would like to enhance more red from my plants.. has anyone even done a DIY red led strip to add the hint of red to get brighter colours?

If so please share your experience!
Natur is listed as dual white w/ most likely 2700 and 6500k whites.

44 or 57w model?

You should have plenty of red though not deep red

Adding a deep red bar between the 2 lights should be relatively easy
Not sure diy is any cheaper than just buying strips or bars.
Depends.
How wide is the tank?

$1.49 each at 2.3v at 700mA
Suggest 4" on center. About 11 for a 48" tank.
18w.

Thermal glue them to a hunk of aluminum, one 700mA ldd-hw ($7) and a power supply.
Manual dimmer optionable ($7).

Or look for sticky tape leds on eek bay.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for getting back to me! The tank is 100x45 and I have two lights which are on 6500k. The red plants show red but do not bring out the Chihiros RGB red kinda thing.. since the tank is a closed top the middle is empty so should I place the strip/strips there? Adding two photos so you can understand my setup better!

Attachments

·
Registered
13,080 Posts
Thanks for getting back to me! The tank is 100x45 and I have two lights which are on 6500k. The red plants show red but do not bring out the Chihiros RGB red kinda thing.. since the tank is a closed top the middle is empty so should I place the strip/strips there? Adding two photos so you can understand my setup better!
RGB vs white plus red will always look different.
Nature of the beast
This thread and attached pdf sort of explains why .

The color-dulling LEDs need a broad band in the yellow spectral region with a peak
wavelength in the range around 580 nm. The optimal peak wavelength of the red component
of the high-fidelity and color-preference p-c LEDs has to be chosen in the range of 610-615
nm. A deeper-red component (620-630 nm) is required for the color-saturating LEDs
Point is this is what you are fighting.
It is difficult matching the rgb "look" with using any whites. Conversly you can' t make rgb look like white based led lights.
You can punch up colors but it isn't quite the same.
Your next difficulty is how low your lights are when adding single color diodes. Easy to create color spotting.
One if the reasons I listed the type of red from steves is the beam angle on the hort. diodes us very wide giving them a chance to blend better.

As a principal I prefer to sandwich colors between whites. Seems to work out the best.

The set up you have should give decent color.
Not 100% sure any modification short of total light replacement with rgb units would be worthwhile.

Buying 5m of rgb led strip lighting would allow you to experiment on the cheap.

If you can just stick them to some aluminum and put it where that black center thing is.
Or on each side. They are easy to work with.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes in the middle I have this shou shouldnt be an issue to fix either inside or outside of the plastic.. what do you think? I want to keep the bright light but I would like to enhance the red plants..

Would I neee to get just red led strips or rgb? Also one strip or more?

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The middle part I lifted up is the entire top cover but I don't use it as I have the two JBL natur lights on each side. I can't remove it since its part of the top cover but I can either retrofit leds on it or something

·
Registered
13,080 Posts
The middle part I lifted up is the entire top cover but I don't use it as I have the two JBL natur lights on each side. I can't remove it since its part of the top cover but I can either retrofit leds on it or something
Ok so you can probably just use the tape leds and stick it to the face of the black part.

Using thin aluminum plate is probably best.. Ribbons don't have very good heat control..
As to how many best guess is use 2W of white to 1 of deep red..
Favor cool white centric over warm in the JBL's.

If you can't find 660nm ribbons suggest hort. ones w/ the highest red/blue ratio.
LED Wavelength: Red: 660nm; Blue: 445nm
Beam Angle: 120 degrees
Wattage:0.2W/LED,60W/300LEDs
Voltage: DC 12V
Power adapter:12V 5A (power adapter not include)
Strip Length: 5m
If you want to pump green up a bit pick RGB.

Don't forget power supply and a dimmer..

·
Registered
13,080 Posts
Thanks for your reply! You lost me on the last reply though:)
Sorry, which part..
5M ribbon leds sometimes comes with a power supply and/or dimmer.
Some don't
One I listed doesn't.

Adding green will enhance green.
White leds are blue diodes with yellow/green phosphors added.
Warm whites add a pinch of red phosphor.

Normally I'd suggest cyan instead of green for the greens but you won't find them like that.

60 leds/meter.. at .2w that's 12W (It's really less than that but a usable number)
@ 6500k my assumption is your warm whites are off and there is no compensating circuitry ( see Kessil logic as an example) that boosts the 6500k to make up for the loss of 2600k output.
And lets use 50W as a go to number for your lights
Running 2 at 1/2 power (6500k) you output 50W
So at least 25W of red is needed.. More is fine if you include the dimmer
So 2 meters of red is your starting point.
Personally if using one color and specs are similar to the above
4 1 meter strips should do it.
If using RGB suggest tripling it so you have 4M of each color.

Obviously tailor "rows" to your current light size. I'd suggest not going beyond the light surface left to right.
And if attaching to the black part put them as close to the JBl's as practical. Don't center the strips though not sure it's that much of a difference but will push light more f/b than dead center.

Hanging colors past your whites will probably just get messy color wise.
Bottom line is you need the colors to sort of over whelm the yellowish glare of the whites.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Ok so hoping I managed to understand your reply properly.. The best way forward is to get RGB so that apart from my 2 JBL 6700K lights I try enhance as much as possible my green and red plants.. I thought I can get RGB strips as one strip or is that not the case? When you mentioned aluminium strips you meant like in the video yeah?

·
Registered
13,080 Posts
Ok so hoping I managed to understand your reply properly.. The best way forward is to get RGB so that apart from my 2 JBL 6700K lights I try enhance as much as possible my green and red plants.. I thought I can get RGB strips as one strip or is that not the case? When you mentioned aluminium strips you meant like in the video yeah?
5m is continuous. 12 v ones you can cut every 3 diodes.
Easier to cut to length for multiple rows avoiding the 180 turn.
Adds some soldering if course.
Flat aluminum is for added heat transfer and yea like the video.

·
Registered
13,080 Posts
Gotcha! So best bet is that I go for the RGB strip or just red and blue? Sorry for the questions but want to get this right. And how many strips should I stick?
Considering you should get a dimmer.. there are never too many.. ;)

Think a 5m roll of RGB should do it.
6 rows..but you have the ruler.. ;)

red/blue is a bit risky and possibly overwhelming.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks and the led strips however would be stuck in the middle of the black part right? Or best on the edge side of the black on each side? When you mention dimmer is something like this a good led strip? Or would you suggest something better?
Looking for enhancing mostly red and greens. Once again appreciate your time to help!

This would make my life so much easier if the Chihiros RGB can be mounted like my JBL Natur ones!

·
Registered
13,080 Posts
Thanks and the led strips however would be stuck in the middle of the black part right? Or best on the edge side of the black on each side? When you mention dimmer is something like this a good led strip? Or would you suggest something better?
Looking for enhancing mostly red and greens. Once again appreciate your time to help!

=[/URL]
Only 1/2 the density of the one I suggested 150 vs 300 diodes for 5M
To be honest I'd prefer piecing together the set.
Diodes, power supply, and controller.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.