The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a colony of shrimp that I've had they're probably on generation 2 or 3. i was wondering when I should start considering adding some new shrimp. My colony started out with batches from two different sources. what are your thoughts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Not sure honestly... but for me I have the same cherry shrimp colonies in 3 tanks (all came from the same colony originally) that over the past 2 years or so I have swapped some back and forth between... not sure what generation it is exactly, but probably approaching 10-15... haven't had any issues with it this way... even got a spontaneous orange and a mostly clear mutation out of it... no the shrimp were never mixed with other colors

·
Registered
53 Posts
So I have a colony of shrimp that I've had they're probably on generation 2 or 3. i was wondering when I should start considering adding some new shrimp. My colony started out with batches from two different sources. what are your thoughts
Adding some shrimp would definitely help with the genetic diversity especially if you want to broaden out your shrimp.

However, since you started with two different sources I really doubt you'll have much of an issue if you choose not to add more shrimp. It's really up to you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.