The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have two German blue rams that I now know are both male. One is dominant and spends most of it's time abusing the other. I'm wondering if a) adding one or two more rams in the tank might help by distracting the aggressive one and b) if I were able to find female rams if adding two females would be likely to make things better or worse.

The tank is a 20G long, so maybe not large enough to consider more rams period, but it is heavily planted with plenty of places to hide. Right now the only other inhabitants are 5 cherry barbs.

I know there's no definitive yes or no to the aggression questions, but would love to get input from anyone with more experience with rams. Adding a picture of the tank in case that helps. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I stock my Ram tanks heavily to help disperse aggression. Yes, this definitely will help with your situation.
You can add up to 6 easily.
I would also add 3 rocks, pieces of wood, or very small clay pots to give markers for fish to establish clear territories.

PS: If a pair starts breeding, they will be hard on the others. But, you will have enough in there to disperse aggression.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok great, that's what I was hoping. As a follow up question, the rams I already have are pretty large- if I introduce more that are smaller is that likely to be an issue?

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
I recently took in a large quantity of Black Rams... They were all gone the next day, but I kept six for myself (I appear to have 4 males and 2 females). I placed all 6 in a decently planted 20 gallon long that is part of my 6 display tank FishNook. There are many ditherfish present as well. It definitely keeps the agression in check. A big centralized system with a huge double chamber sump for big water reserves allows me to densely stock a few of the display tanks.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Ok great, that's what I was hoping. As a follow up question, the rams I already have are pretty large- if I introduce more that are smaller is that likely to be an issue?
No, Ive had 2 pair with 40 juveniles in a 30 gallon for a few weeks before. -- Obviously, this wasn't a permanent situation; but, I was selling the juveniles so just temporary. The adults chased the juveniles for about a half hour, got bored, and then stopped.
Now, if you had a breeding pair in a 10 gallon with a few juveniles-- that would be a problem. but, when they are not spawning and raising fry it is fine if density is high.

I recently took in a large quantity of Black Rams... They were all gone the next day, but I kept six for myself (I appear to have 4 males and 2 females). I placed all 6 in a decently planted 20 gallon long that is part of my 6 display tank FishNook. There are many ditherfish present as well. It definitely keeps the agression in check. A big centralized system with a huge double chamber sump for big water reserves allows me to densely stock a few of the display tanks.
Did you get from Coralbandit?

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Did you get from Coralbandit?
Kind of... they came from Liz, who got the parents from Tom (coralbandit) maybe 6 months ago. She had allot of juveniles and she needed to make room for more, so it was a very favorable purchase. It allowed me to get a good number of these fish in the hands of folks here in Tucson Arizona, where there had not been any previously. I'd really like to get a hold of some stock from Marco Du Toit in Praetoria South Africa or Rafael Estenoz in Florida.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Kind of... they came from Liz, who got the parents from Tom (coralbandit) maybe 6 months ago. She had allot of juveniles and she needed to make room for more, so it was a very favorable purchase. It allowed me to get a good number of these fish in the hands of folks here in Tucson Arizona, where there had not been any previously. I'd really like to get a hold of some stock from Marco Du Toit in Praetoria South Africa or Rafael Estenoz in Florida.
Oh okay! I haven't been on Simply Discus for over a year! Its good to hear that Liz is doing so well with them :)
Well, not surprising- she has been breeding fish for years!
I have heard of Marco Du Toit, but not Rafael Estenoz in Florida. Does Rafael have stock directly from Marco's line?

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Oh okay! I haven't been on Simply Discus for over a year! Its good to hear that Liz is doing so well with them :)
Well, not surprising- she has been breeding fish for years!
I have heard of Marco Du Toit, but not Rafael Estenoz in Florida. Does Rafael have stock directly from Marco's line?
Regarding Rafael... No, but he took the same track that Marco did.... Original Israeli Black Ram stock... constant selective breeding... no crossing with golds... Then he outcrossed with wild columbian rams (which is where the increased red in the fins came from) to increase strength and then started down isolating for black color again. He's getting large true breeding spawns like Marcos.

He follows Marco's technique and the two of them are rather complimentary of the efforts of the other. He calls his line Black Knight, rather than steal Marco's Dark Knight name.... However, the Knight in both indicates the direction they went with their breeding programs... both of them strived for true breeding.

Rafael is trying to get people to adopt common naming to differentiate... but that will never succeed... Too many Discus, Anglefish and Ram breeders make their money by muddying the waters with random naming that keeps the buying public clueless. I applaud Rafael's efforts... but I've already seen people with ugly dirty blue blue rams from mixed spawns stealing the Dark Knight and Black Knight nomenclature.

Ram names will become as ugly as Discus names where there are 100 names for a Red Turq with superficial/individual characteristics.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Regarding Rafael... No, but he took the same track that Marco did.... Original Israeli Black Ram stock... constant selective breeding... no crossing with golds... Then he outcrossed with wild columbian rams (which is where the increased red in the fins came from) to increase strength and then started down isolating for black color again. He's getting large true breeding spawns like Marcos.

He follows Marco's technique and the two of them are rather complimentary of the efforts of the other. He calls his line Black Knight, rather than steal Marco's Dark Knight name.... However, the Knight in both indicates the direction they went with their breeding programs... both of them strived for true breeding.

Rafael is trying to get people to adopt common naming to differentiate... but that will never succeed... Too many Discus, Anglefish and Ram breeders make their money by muddying the waters with random naming that keeps the buying public clueless. I applaud Rafael's efforts... but I've already seen people with ugly dirty blue blue rams from mixed spawns stealing the Dark Knight and Black Knight nomenclature.

Ram names will become as ugly as Discus names where there are 100 names for a Red Turq with superficial/individual characteristics.
Does Liz have anymore dark rams available?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.