The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 37 gal Marineland tank with really awful lighting. All I've managed to successfully grow in there are a lot of leggy rotala and some java moss. Thankfully I'm getting some better lighting added to the tank. I'm worried that I'm gonna get a huge algae bloom though, do you guys have any advice about preparing for the additional light?

My tank set up right now:
37 gals, 1 wpg
Plants- tiger cals, amazon sword, rotala, java moss, aponogeton
Fish- 1 angel, 8 neons, 1 chinese algae eater, 2 khulis
Substrate- fluorite base with gravel ontop
Dosing- 3.5 ml flourish comprehensive per week, ocassional CO2 tablet in the more heavily planted area
Water changes- 20% weekly

I'm getting a double light t5 hood, so I'll be adding another 48 watts to the tank

What I plan to have my tank set up as afterwards:
37 gals, 2 wpgish (how do u calculate with flourescents and t5s :/)
Plants- original plants, I want to add a HC floor but I don't know if I have the right materials
Fish- same
Substrate- same
Dosing- 2x 3.5 ml flourish comprehensive, daily flourish excel, some micros?
water changes- 50% weekly

I'm worried that I'll have too much lighting and not enough CO2 to control it. I also don't know how my plants will react to more light and whether my dosing amount is good enough. Will my vals die if I dose excel?

Any help would be really appreciated :D I'm so ready to have a nice looking tank >.<

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
You need nitrate and phosphate if you are bumping up the light so much. Seachem makes some or get a set of dry powders. They cost more upfront but last a lot longer than bottled ones.

You need more carbon for the plants too. Consider trying yeast CO2. I had loads of light and tried it for just a couple weeks and was completely sold on CO2. Yeast CO2, not so much, no room for it at the time.

Use a timer to control the lighting period, maybe start with 8 hours or so. Raising the lights and/or shading them would be a great idea. Perhaps you can lower/remove shade later with happy growing plants. You won't burn the plants but the algae can take advantage of the excessive light faster than shade adapted leaved plants.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I"ve tried DIY CO2, it always ends up being a mess for me though as I really have nowhere to put a bottle of the stuff. Will excel not be enough?

I'll definitely lower the photoperiod, I'm doing 12 hours a day right now and that should definitely help. Are there any good shading plants that you want to suggest. I know duckweed works, but it might also overrun my tank.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Any floater will overrun the tank but at least they are larger and easier to scoop out! I do like pennywort as you can let it float or keep it as a bush. Hornwort is beautiful with light shining through but can be messy. If it is anchored it won't go all over like floaters do. My fish love to eat frogbit and RRF but salvinia isn't as tasty. I would love to try out the water grass that is around SnS now but it has massive roots so I will pass. The tank will be green if you use floaters to shade and if you use window screen it will have more color.

I don't know about the Excel. It was wonderful on my 10 gallon tank with ~40 watts of spiral compact fluorescents and NPK+micros but posters here are sure it isn't enough with high light larger tanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a drag, I don't have anywhere where I could put a CO2 system and I'd really hate to use it. Maybe toning down on the lights a bit will make the excel work. Sigh... so much to worry about. Thanks for the info though

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.