The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 20g long planted tank with a current satellite + over it and a diy led light strip bar I made. Well, the led bar isn't giving me much more light. I want to get more light along with my satellite so I'm looking at options. One option is to build a CFL light setup with two bulbs or led floodlights. The floodlights I'm looking at are these

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GLLW3AM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_SwkAxbR6CH4PX

Idk if they will give me lighting I want or too much? I will be running pressurized co2 within a week, right now running diy co2.

Any help or ideas to get more light would be great! Would like medium to high light range

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Still not sure on what approach I should go with. I'm thinking of just going to sell my satelittle plus or should I just add two cfls over the tank with the plus? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
What type of strips do you have and how are you controlling the sat w/ an Aduino?
since you are already rigged for strips I'd just suggest getting better strips..

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
My knowledge of DIY is nil and that's the reason I go with what I know best - why not a second Satelite Planted+?

In the end, it comes to the old trade off of money vs time vs quality. If you want to experiment and learn then try different solutions out. If you are more interested in the tank itself, going with a known quantaty is a reasonable trade off to me.

As a not-asked-for aside, higher light does not necessarily equate to better tank / plants. It does equate to more work and more money. Imho, I think you have more options to explore before pushing the light.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jeff the strips in using are there.
MuchBuy 16.4 Feet 600 Leds 3528 SMD Flexible LED Strip with IP65 Clear Waterproof Sleeve, 12V 5 Meter Reel Pure White Light https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AUCJC4I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_C.JFxbH3TGDEK

They were for a car project awhile ago and I had a lot left over. I put 4 strips of these together on a piece of aluminum about 28" long. The whole length is 30". Also the arduino works like an automatic remote to the satellite plus fixture. Turning it on/off automatically and setting dawn/dusk at certain times that I have programmed. There's a write up on this on the forum somewhere.

OVT, I like to build a lot of stuff and do diy projects so when I thought about a new light I figured I'd look into building something. I'm also abit tight on money so not looking to spend another $80-100 on another sat plus.

My setup now does cause some algae but a lot of it I have to say deals with the inconsistent co2 from my diy setup. Most algae I get is BBA or Black hair algae. I have some diatoms right now and GSA but im sure the diatoms are from me turning off my powerhead.

Would you have any suggestions on other things to do besides lighting? I mainly wanted higher light to grow a carpet in my tank. I wanted to do dwarf baby tears or some type of grassy plant. Right now I'm trying with staurogyne repens and they seem to be coming along but with algae on them too...

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
3528 are wimpier than 5050's which ar wimpier than 5630's..
Just replace them w/ 5630's in a "neutral" white temp (wanted more red )
4000k or so..
Best to get waterproof but an example:

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
Dwarf hair grass will grow just fine under a single satelite+. Or better yet, start with Blyxa japonica. Want some red? Red tiger lotus and dwarf Lilly are the ticket.

Everybody get algae with low light, medium light, high light or no light, just read some threads on TPT. I get algae too. Why? People rush in looking for a magic bullet. There ain't one. It's taking the time to understand what makes every tank tick. And once you do, you will look back and ask why did I do that? And smile. And then you can run any tank you can imagine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm I had no luck with dhg. It lasted about a week before the leaves stared to sag and stay low. I'm dosing e.i. and have osmocote tabs. I'm pretty sure slot of my issues are co2 but I have a regulator on the way so just waiting for it to arrive. Would Pygmy chain sword do ok with my current light setup?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.