The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a DIY fixture that is 25" long and has 2 rows of 7 CREE XP-Gs. The driver is Mean Well ELN-60-48D. My goal is to add 4 extra LEDs, 2 on both ends to extend the fixture to cover a 36" long tank. Specs on the driver says it can power ~8-14 LEDs. If I get another identical driver, then I will have to add at least 8 LEDs. Hmmmm. Ideas? Anyone?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
You now have 14 LEDs. If you add 2 more, and rewire the light so each of the Meanwell drivers drives 8 LEDs that should work. You could then adjust the output voltage of the drivers a bit lower to reduce the heat generated in the drivers.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point... I thought I could get away with just adding 4 more LEDs, now it looks like I have to shell out a few bucks more for the driver, oh and the power supply?

I've been toying with the idea of moving the LEDs to a u-channel from the heatsink it's on now. Have you tried removing an LED that was mounted with a thermal paste to the heatsink?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Meanwell drivers don't require a power supply, just a 120VAC connection. The only times I have moved a LED that was cemented in place, it was to replace a failed one. I'm not sure you can get good thermal conductance when you move one, leaving the residue of cement on the LED, and I don't know a good way to remove the cement residue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.