The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
There is no reason to monitor it. There is also no reasonably inexpensive/ accurate kit out there to measure it.

·
Super Moderator
12,114 Posts
Why must Iron be monitored ? What is the consequence of OD ? I'm curious :)
Iron does not have to be monitored, but some people do it to feel comfortable.

I just observe my plants.

If you are dosing EI style, you should be getting enough iron.

Various iron sources exist (Plantex CSM+B, EDTA chelated iron, DPTA chelated iron, iron gluconate, etc).

As with anything, if you (severely) overdose on iron, it could lead to heavy metal toxicity. But you would have to dose quite a bit. The amounts we are dosing (using EI, for example) will not be harmful.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
enough iron?

Well I bought some of that micro macro mix from the aquarium fertilizer website. It has the Plantex CSM+B in with it. It says it has 7% iron chelate, so I hope this enough for my plants.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If you are planning exclusively for iron dosing suggest you can give ferrous gluconate a try I have been using it for ages in my tanks - so 10g for 500g of water to make the solution, and dosing 1 ml/100L of water. but if you are going this route - make sure it does not come in contact with light during any time of the day(the stock solution)

·
Registered
207 Posts
If you are planning exclusively for iron dosing suggest you can give ferrous gluconate a try I have been using it for ages in my tanks - so 10g for 500g of water to make the solution, and dosing 1 ml/100L of water. but if you are going this route - make sure it does not come in contact with light during any time of the day(the stock solution)
what does it do if it comes in contact?

·
Super Moderator
12,114 Posts
what does it do if it comes in contact?
According to Chase et al; Remington's Pharmaceutical Sciences 14th ed. Mack Publ Co. Easton, PA p. 825 (1970)

Ferrous gluconate is affected by light and the ferrous iron slowly oxidizes to ferric on exposure to air.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.