The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my cherries are awesome, but I'd like another color in there.

I was thinking one of:
Tiger
Blue Tiger
Black Tiger
CRS

My cherry tank is a 10G with a HOB filter on it. Weekly water changes of 20-40%. Drop in some of Ken's green algae sticks for food everyday or other day.
Water is from my tap filter, 7.6pH (West LA water). I don't have a hardness testing kit. Substrate is Eco Complete. No ferts, no CO2.
Temps 72-76F normally.

I saw Black Tigers are more tolerant of higher pH? If so I might go with those as I don't have an intention to run or use RO water.

I know a lot of people keep shrimp in less than optimal conditions as well, so many someone can chime in. Also how much more sensitive are OE(Black)T than regulars?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
i think probably regular tigers or blue tigers would be better in that pH. Black tigers might work too, but that all depends on your hardness.

regular tigers are almost like cherries, living in many conditions.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think probably regular tigers or blue tigers would be better in that pH. Black tigers might work too, but that all depends on your hardness.

regular tigers are almost like cherries, living in many conditions.
I see. I mentioned it just because of the pH mentioned on the invert page here.
http://planetinverts.com/Black Tiger Shrimp.html

The Black Tiger Shrimp prefers colder more alkaline water. Breeders typically keep the Black Tiger Shrimp at a pH above 7.2 and temperature in the 70F - 74F range.​
I'd like the black if possible, but moreso I'd like hardier shrimp that won't kick the bucket on me even if my temps get a bit higher than 76F, 78F :)

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
Well, black tigers and OEBT will start kicking the bucket if temps stay over 75 for long period of time, so those might not be the best option.

You could always buy a tank fan to keep your tank cooler when it gets hot inside.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I think regular tigers or blue tigers would work.

On a different note I would highly suggest getting a test kit. I use one from API but there are several manufacturers of kits. Whichever kit you get make sure its a liquid type kit, not the paper test strips.

The paper strips are inaccurate and they have an expiration date.

My kit tests for Ammonia, Nitrates, Nitrites, and pH, while a second smaller kit is for GH (general hardness) & KH (carbonate hardness).

HTH,

Marty

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, black tigers and OEBT will start kicking the bucket if temps stay over 75 for long period of time, so those might not be the best option.

You could always buy a tank fan to keep your tank cooler when it gets hot inside.
Really that bad huh? :icon_frow

I'd really like Blue Tigers if they will survive. I think they would be easier to get versus some nice looking Tigers.
I think regular tigers or blue tigers would work.

On a different note I would highly suggest getting a test kit. I use one from API but there are several manufacturers of kits. Whichever kit you get make sure its a liquid type kit, not the paper test strips.
The paper strips are inaccurate and they have an expiration date.
My kit tests for Ammonia, Nitrates, Nitrites, and pH, while a second smaller kit is for GH (general hardness) & KH (carbonate hardness).
I have the API testkit, but no hardness test yet. I hadn't planned on getting anything besides cherries yet. I should look around to check. My hardness is probably though the roof.
http://www.amazon.com/Carbonate-Hardness-Test-Freshwater-Saltwater/dp/B0002APP62 Good?

Might take some water down to Petco and have them check for me :hihi:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.