The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to use soil capped with sand on an upcoming set up.

I was thinking about adding some Flourite Red to the soil for long term iron supply.

Is it better to mix the flourite with the soil, or should I do soil first, add a thin layer of flourite, and finally cap?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought about clay but I've had good luck with Flourite in multiple tanks in the past. All my tanks that had flourite never needed as much micros compared to tanks where I used inert substrate so I figured the flourite must at least be doing something.
I just noticed regular flourite contain more fe than red. According to Seachem it's 18,500 mg/kg while red is 16,190. Don't know if that's considered a lot, tbh.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I believe Flourite is larger and denser than the soil? If so I would put it on the top of the soil which should help reduce the amount of dirt making its way up through the sand.

Personally I went with the red clay approach for iron. There was a large sack of Flourite at the LFS that was broken open and I was able to purchase for very cheap. I incorporated it into my soil... but I wish I had layered it on top of the soil for the above reason. I do not know how beneficial Flourite actually is... but I figured it wouldn't hurt.

I use a gravel cap instead of a sand cap. I think gravel holds down the underlying layers better and allows debris to work its way down to the soil layer.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe Flourite is larger and denser than the soil? If so I would put it on the top of the soil which should help reduce the amount of dirt making its way up through the sand.

Personally I went with the red clay approach for iron. There was a large sack of Flourite at the LFS that was broken open and I was able to purchase for very cheap. I incorporated it into my soil... but I wish I had layered it on top of the soil for the above reason. I do not know how beneficial Flourite actually is... but I figured it wouldn't hurt.

I use a gravel cap instead of a sand cap. I think gravel holds down the underlying layers better and allows debris to work its way down to the soil layer.
Thanks for your help. I'll do a layer of flourite on top of the soil. I plan to lightly scatter some larger gravel over the sand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.