The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
So my tank has been cycling for a couple weeks now and I don't have any nitrite or ammonia any more. My end game for my tank is to have a small school of chili rasboras (boraras brigittae) and maybe some bee shrimp. My LFS has told me that they would be getting a shipment of chilis in in a few weeks! I want to make sure the tank can support fish before I put the little guys in there though.

Any recommendations on fish that I can use to "test" my tank? Its a 5 gal moderately planted tank.

Thank you!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about them. The problem is the tank they would be moving to is my friends and she HATES zebras! If that weren't the case, they would be my go-to. What do you think about a guppy or two?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I'd just continue the fishless cycle. Keep adding an ammonia source so the bacteria that has colonized doesn't die. If the ammonia you've added is gone within 24 hours (and you dont see a nitrite spike) then you should be fine to add fish. Id be concerned about the store claiming their order isn't coming in for "weeks" though. For some reason I doubt they plan their orders weeks ahead of time; so maybe you can source them elsewhere? Pretty sure Rachel from Invertebrates by Msjinkzd | Specializing in invertebrates and micro fish from around the world. typically stocks those and is a reputable source.

·
Registered
76 Posts
In my experience platys are lovely and pretty disease resistant, so they shouldn't introduce anything to the tank either. You can pick up a male and see how it goes.

Guppies would work too, but I'd go for a few males to make sure you aren't fishing out fry for weeks to come.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd just continue the fishless cycle. Keep adding an ammonia source so the bacteria that has colonized doesn't die. If the ammonia you've added is gone within 24 hours (and you dont see a nitrite spike) then you should be fine to add fish. Id be concerned about the store claiming their order isn't coming in for "weeks" though. For some reason I doubt they plan their orders weeks ahead of time; so maybe you can source them elsewhere? Pretty sure Rachel from Invertebrates by Msjinkzd | Specializing in invertebrates and micro fish from around the world. typically stocks those and is a reputable source.
The store just had a new freshwater order come in so they won't be ordering for a couple more weeks. They alternate freshwater and saltwater orders. Thats why it will be awhile before the next freshwater order will come in.
I have thought about ordering from Rachel as well, but shipping fish still makes me nervous, though I do love her stuff!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
The store just had a new freshwater order come in so they won't be ordering for a couple more weeks. They alternate freshwater and saltwater orders. Thats why it will be awhile before the next freshwater order will come in.
I have thought about ordering from Rachel as well, but shipping fish still makes me nervous, though I do love her stuff!
I wouldnt worry about having fish shipped. I've received plenty and never had any issues. (although I admittedly have not yet ordered from Rachel) Plus how do you think the store ends up getting their fish? They dont magically appear!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In my experience platys are lovely and pretty disease resistant, so they shouldn't introduce anything to the tank either. You can pick up a male and see how it goes.

Guppies would work too, but I'd go for a few males to make sure you aren't fishing out fry for weeks to come.
If I go with the guppies, I would definitely keep it male only haha.

Bump:
I wouldnt worry about having fish shipped. I've received plenty and never had any issues. (although I admittedly have not yet ordered from Rachel) Plus how do you think the store ends up getting their fish? They dont magically appear!
I know, I'm being a baby about it haha. I have heard many good things about her though!

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
When doing a fishless cycle, there really is no need to prove out that it is fish safe. Assume you still have some ammonia on hand?
I would go with adding the ammonia required to bump the readings up to spec and then when it is gone, you know things are ready and all needed is to keep adding a bit of ammonia to maintain the BB you've built.
In keeping African cichlids where fish are much more difficult and expensive to find and get on hand, the fishless cycle is the one safe way to go when you have a situation where ordering is the only way to get them and they have to have a tank ready to support the full load landing at once.
The norm there is to build the max bacteria, maintain it until the fish arrive and then let it die back to what your new fish require.
I'm a very frugal person but find a bottle of ammonia is much cheaper and easier to deal than even the cheapest fish.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.