The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've got a new 15g Fluval Flex tank on the way, and I plan on cycling it with some live plants until it's ready for fish. I want to have 8 lemon tetras, 4 panda corys, and one or two vampire shrimp.

When the tank is done cycling, which should go in first and how many?

Thank you in advance for your help!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Starting with tetras is always a great option. Lemon tetras are a great pop of color. I’d look into getting a bottle of ATM Colony as well, helps to keep the cycle more stable and speeds it up slightly...

As for the stocking maybe an additional 1 or 2 corys? Not sure what the dimensions on this tank are though, as the corys will like some space. I am sure you know too that Cory cat DO need to be fed. They are not only a clean up crew(which they are commonly mistaken for).

·
Registered
546 Posts
Hello again, just realised that I posted on your other thread lol.

When you say cycling with plants, will you be adding an ammonia source too? Cycling is an active process rather than passive.

One of first tanks was a fluval flex 15, they're useful little tanks :) The only thing is that because they're square rather than long, they don't suit fish like tetras in the same way as a 15g long. Instead of lemon tetras, have you looked into ember tetras? They're beautiful too, but a little lazier so would be better suited. You could have a nice shoal in a flex and their colours really pop.

Panda corys would be a little bit of a squeeze in the tank, again the square base doesn't really help. Dwarf corys like Corydoras Pygmaeus, Habrosus, or Hastatus are super cute though and would do much better - and you could have more of them! Cory's need larger shoals than 4, they're really a minimum of 6, preferably more.

Lookign forwards to pics - would be awesome to see a journal if you're thinking of starting one :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts