The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to add either a Blue Gourami or Betta and some Albino Corys or a couple of Otos. Im just unsure about which ones I should get. Thats where I need help. I am cycling the tank now, going to pick up a few add ons(Root Tabs, Test Kit, Conditioning Salt), and then want to add fish. What should I add? I dont want so much color and I want something that will be out and about most of the day. Here are the current options:

Centerpiece:
Betta
Blue Gourami
Gold Gourami
Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami

Bottomfeeder:
Peppered Cory
Albino Cory
Oto
Emerald Cory
Green Cory
Kulli Loach(But they dont sell, I would have to buy online)

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
How big is the tank?

The Blue and Gold gouramis can get big, and I believe, are not as pieceful as the dwarf gouramis. Therefore, either 1 blue or gold gourami in the tank or a few dwarf gouramis.

Cories are good, since they scour the tank bottom looking for food.

Kuhli loaches work well also, but you should have a small group.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
yea, i was about to say. whay in the hell are you looking to add conditioning salt? i've been reading a lot of your posts, and i think you're reading waaaaayyyy too much into this, and/or listening to too many other peoples ideas who apparently don't know what they're talking about. if you're going to read up on something on the net, try using the search tool on this forum. it may take you a little to find answers, but i'm sure they are going to be a lot more accurate. a lot of websites are so full of misleading information.

·
Registered
517 Posts
i think it's a very common internet tip/suggestion that says something like "aquarium salt adds essential electrolytes, improves gill function, promotes disease recovery, reduces stress, and adds more slime etc etc. use 1 tablespoon per 5 to 10 gallons of water"

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
yea, i was about to say. whay in the hell are you looking to add conditioning salt? i've been reading a lot of your posts, and i think you're reading waaaaayyyy too much into this, and/or listening to too many other peoples ideas who apparently don't know what they're talking about. if you're going to read up on something on the net, try using the search tool on this forum. it may take you a little to find answers, but i'm sure they are going to be a lot more accurate. a lot of websites are so full of misleading information.
You took the words right out of my mouth.

Conditioning Salt can be very harmful or even fatal to plants. LEAVE IT OUT OF YOUR TANK. BECAUSE IT HAS NO PLACE IN THE PLANTED TANK. Unless you are setting up a brakish water tank in which you would be VERY LIMITED in the types of plants you could use.Pluse im not even sure that Condidtioning salt would be the right salt for this.

·
Registered
39 Posts
James,

I am assuming these additions are for a new 10 gallon tank, not the tank with the Platys? You need to let the tank with the Platys settle down some and stabilize.

Either a Betta or a Gourami is a nice fish. I keep both. I prefer the Dwarf Gourami (Colisa lalia) that is not a hybrid bred to increase one color (blue or red) over the other. I keep a Dwarf Gourami in my 10 Gallon tank with Female Bettas (who I think are great looking fish in their own right). A Cory will go with either fish, I think Cory's do best in groups of three or more (more fun to watch!).

I know you originally started out with some Danios that you lost. These are pretty hardy fish which are often used to cycle tanks. For this new tank keep on top of your water conditions. Both the Betta and Gourami are air breathers, so they often survive in water conditions that can kill other fish, but they do suffer damage to thier gills and I have to imagine that life for them kinda sucks from that point on. My experience with Corys are that they are not hardy fish if you let your water condition go during the cycle period and are probably best to add after your tank is cycled. You should not need a bottom feeder at this time because you should not be feeding enough food that any will drop to the bottom. :)

I also agree with the others...for your situation put the salt back on the shelf and save your money. I think salt has some merit for keeping tropical fish. I use some salt when I first get new fish and put them in a non-planted, no gravel quarantine tank. By the time I put them in the larger tanks, the water changes have diluted the salt that was added when they first arrived.

The key is don't try to do much at one time. Go slow. Enjoy the tank.

Brian

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
James,

I am assuming these additions are for a new 10 gallon tank, not the tank with the Platys? You need to let the tank with the Platys settle down some and stabilize.

Either a Betta or a Gourami is a nice fish. I keep both. I prefer the Dwarf Gourami (Colisa lalia) that is not a hybrid bred to increase one color (blue or red) over the other. I keep a Dwarf Gourami in my 10 Gallon tank with Female Bettas (who I think are great looking fish in their own right). A Cory will go with either fish, I think Cory's do best in groups of three or more (more fun to watch!).

I know you originally started out with some Danios that you lost. These are pretty hardy fish which are often used to cycle tanks. For this new tank keep on top of your water conditions. Both the Betta and Gourami are air breathers, so they often survive in water conditions that can kill other fish, but they do suffer damage to thier gills and I have to imagine that life for them kinda sucks from that point on. My experience with Corys are that they are not hardy fish if you let your water condition go during the cycle period and are probably best to add after your tank is cycled. You should not need a bottom feeder at this time because you should not be feeding enough food that any will drop to the bottom. :)

I also agree with the others...for your situation put the salt back on the shelf and save your money. I think salt has some merit for keeping tropical fish. I use some salt when I first get new fish and put them in a non-planted, no gravel quarantine tank. By the time I put them in the larger tanks, the water changes have diluted the salt that was added when they first arrived.

The key is don't try to do much at one time. Go slow. Enjoy the tank.

Brian
It is for the tank with the platys. I want to add a contrasting color to the plants/platys. The other 10g is not setup and I probably wont set it up but get a 5g tank. I am going to let the tank stabalize and settle after the tank is done cycling and then add more fish.

I love Dwarf Gouramis as they have so much personality and they are colorful. I seen some nice female Bettas at walmart and felt sorry for them. They might be something I will get. Still unsure though.

I did have the Danios and am still nervous about adding other fish after their death but I love the hobby so much. I am cycling the 10g with the Platys and getting a test kit ASAP. I been doing 30-50% ec's a week. Will be getting my water tested every week.

Somebody had told me that conditioning salt is for diseases :mad:. They also recomended Aqaurium salt. I dont think that I will be getting any!

Here is my priority list as is:
Test Kit
Lighting
CO2
Ferts
And after the cycle adding fish

I am also thinking I am going with Blue Dwarf Gourami or Blue Female Betta and some Albino Corys. Thanks you guys for the additional info!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts