The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a good ratio to add. I use pure RO/DI water that I set to 1-2 Kh with sodium bi carb and 3-4 GH with GH booster. Picked up some Epsom Salt MgSO4 today and was curious what ratios others use. This is for a super heavily planted 150g with full EI and CO2 injection.

Craig

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Hi Craigthor,

My water here in Seattle comes out of the tap at about 2 dKH and 0.5 dGH. I used to use MgSO4 and CaCl in the same Ca:Mg ratio as Seachem Equilibrium; which is about 3.3:1, Ca:Mg. (BTW about 0.5 tsp CaCl and 0.25 tsp MgSO4 per 10 gallons is about right if you are starting with RO water.)

Unfortunately with our very soft water, I also found my tank running out of other micronutrients even with the CSM+B I was using with my EI dosing. For the last couple of years I have continued to use EI dosing, but I use Seachem Equilibrium to bring my tank to 4.0 dGH and I supplement my CSM+B with Seachem Flourish Complete. I also use Excel (Glut) for the algaecide properties and to supplement my CO2 injection.

Per Tom Barr, I don't worry about dKH if the dGH is good.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Craigthor,

My water here in Seattle comes out of the tap at about 2 dKH and 0.5 dGH. I used to use MgSO4 and CaCl in the same Ca:Mg ratio as Seachem Equilibrium; which is about 3.3:1, Ca:Mg. (BTW about 0.5 tsp CaCl and 0.25 tsp MgSO4 per 10 gallons is about right if you are starting with RO water.)

Unfortunately with our very soft water, I also found my tank running out of other micronutrients even with the CSM+B I was using with my EI dosing. For the last couple of years I have continued to use EI dosing, but I use Seachem Equilibrium to bring my tank to 4.0 dGH and I supplement my CSM+B with Seachem Flourish Complete. I also use Excel (Glut) for the algaecide properties and to supplement my CO2 injection.

Per Tom Barr, I don't worry about dKH is the dGH is good.

Yeah I'm using Barrs GH Booster so didn't know if a bit of extra Mg would be of good use. As for a trace mix I'm using the following mix:

1lb Millers Microplec
1lb CSM+B
.5lb Ferrous Gluconate
.5lb Iron Chleate 13%

Figured I have all my traces rounded off with this mix.

Craig

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Hi Craigthor,

When Tom did his presentation at GSAS in September, 2010 he stated his GH Booster formula that is used by aquariumfertilzer.com is:

GH Booster is basically 1/2 K2SO4; 1/4 Gypsum (CaSO4); and 1/4 Epsom Salts (MGSO4). Please note that his forumla includes Potassium Sulfate.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Craigthor,

When Tom did his presentation at GSAS in September, 2010 he stated his GH Booster formula that is used by aquariumfertilzer.com is:

GH Booster is basically 1/2 K2SO4; 1/4 Gypsum (CaSO4); and 1/4 Epsom Salts (MGSO4). Please note that his forumla includes Potassium Sulfate.
Looks like I may need to up both the calcium and Mg then. as for the K2SO4 it shouldn't matter much as the water out of my system comes out at 0 tds. so a bit of extra potassium is good.

Craig

1 - 5 of 5 Posts