The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes I didn't want to deal with CO2 but that was a week ago! :icon_mrgr Now I'm at the very least curious about trying DIY CO2 with one 2L bottle for my 29g tank going through the "Tiny super efficient CO2 reactor" (http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...s/44053-tiny-super-efficient-co2-reactor.html).

How much improvement will this give me compared to using only Excel?

Should I keep using Excel together with the DIY CO2?

What will happen to my tank if in two weeks when the CO2 runs out I decide I don't feel like dealing with it anymore?

Thanks!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Yes I didn't want to deal with CO2 but that was a week ago! :icon_mrgr Now I'm at the very least curious about trying DIY CO2 with one 2L bottle for my 29g tank going through the "Tiny super efficient CO2 reactor"
Do you have the Elite? This is great, might be a nice reactor. How large is the reaction chamber? If you've attach the sponge. Could a 1/2" line go between the sponge and where it's attached or from the water return? There are a few of these designs - lots of powerhead adaptations out there. http://www.barrreport.com/co2-aquatic-plant-fertilization/6231-diy-co2-reactor-surface-skimmer.html
Running some hose (1/2 inch) with all those bubbles, using a small spray bar to cap the end. :proud:

One thing I will share is of no importance, purely an observation. I see no reason for a container larger then 500 mL for diy CO2, so a container 4x's that size will give you plenty of room for yeast. As your water ferments the pH will drop and I am not convinced that size translates into higher CO2 bbs. The pH can be easily fixed with baking soda. Average bubble rates, bbs (bubbles per second) for diy CO2 can only be improved with diffusion methods. CO2 demands are different, but DIY is best for 20 gallon tanks and smaller. Excell makes up the difference plus kills some types of algae.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have the Elite? This is great, might be a nice reactor. How large is the reaction chamber? If you've attach the sponge. Could a 1/2" line go between the sponge and where it's attached or from the water return? There are a few of these designs - lots of powerhead adaptations out there. If I could run some hose (1/2 inch) with all those bubbles, using a small spray bar to cap the end. :proud:

One thing I will share is of no importance, purely an observation. I see no reason for a container larger then 500 mL for diy CO2, so a container 4x's that size will give you plenty of room for yeast. As your water ferments the pH will drop and I am not convinced that size translates into higher CO2 bbs. The pH can be easily fixed with baking soda. Average bubble rates, bbs (bubbles per second) for diy CO2 can only be fixed with diffusion methods. CO2 demands are different, but DIY is best for 20 gallon tanks and smaller. Excell makes up the difference plus kills some types of algae.
Interesting thoughts, thank you.

I figured larger container -> LONGER period in between refills... No?

·
Registered
361 Posts
How about it? :fish:
Do you have the Elite? This is great, might be a nice reactor. How large is the reaction chamber? If you've attach the sponge. Could a 1/2" line go between the sponge and where it's attached or from the water return?
Interesting thoughts, thank you.
Plenty of room for yeast should give you more time and so will tempreture, pH and good nutrition. Most yeast reactors might do better with a larger surface area but they tend to be deeper as opposed to wider.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have the Elite? This is great, might be a nice reactor. How large is the reaction chamber? If you've attach the sponge. Could a 1/2" line go between the sponge and where it's attached or from the water return? There are a few of these designs - lots of powerhead adaptations out there. http://www.barrreport.com/co2-aquatic-plant-fertilization/6231-diy-co2-reactor-surface-skimmer.html
Running some hose (1/2 inch) with all those bubbles, using a small spray bar to cap the end. :proud:
Sorry for not answering this before - no, I don't have the Elite yet so I can't really tell anything about this.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I've asked the question on the original thread but haven't gotten an answer yet. Hmmm, makes me think maybe it doesn't have a 1/2 fitting or much of a reaction chamber. I'll post the answer here, if I can find one. It would change my opinion of it as a reactor. Otherwise it's a great DIY.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts