The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it safe to add cherry shrimp to a heavily planted tank with pressurized co2 injection (around 30 ppm), and full EI dosing with dry ferts? My nitrates always range in the 30-50 range, and am worried this will negatively affect the shrimp....thoughts?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i am semi worried about the co2....i do run an airstone at night, but yeah i guess thats my biggest fear....ill add a few and see how it goes i guess.....

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I'm not saying this is typical, just my experience. I took 50 or so out of my RCS tank and dumped half into my 75g high tech Angel tank and 46g high-tech Angel tank. Didn't see them for a while. Now there are nice colonies in both tanks. I also skim out 20 or so little ones from the canister filters each time I clean them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
According to my experience, they won't be as happy as they would in the low tech, that is: they won't grow as fast, they won't get as large, but they will live, get berried and successfully reproduce, and be as energetic as usual. More so as I had accidentally subjected my flora to marginal CO2-O2 conditions I witnessed interesting results. The first to go to the surface to grasp for air would be bottom-feeders and flying foxes, then would follow the ottos, then SAEs and Amano shrimp and only then the CRS, followed only by neons. I went all the way down that list 2 times and I lost some beloved ones. I was inexperienced and didn't realize that temperature affects water saturation with both CO2 and O2 very significantly. What happened was a hotter day than usual, the water temperature rose up to 82, causing the oxygen levels to drop, but the CO2 was kept being pumped in as usual. High CO2 combined with low O2 is deadly. After 2 times of that I lost 3 coris, 4 SAEs, 3 Amanos and dont know how many CRS. Now I rely on surface agitation to oxygenate only if I know the water temperature will stay below 78. If this is a hot day and I have to leave the house, I will turn my airstone on and reduce the CO2 flow by a bit. I also added a fan to my setup, which helps a lot.
So I would say shrimps tolerance to high co2 levels is higher then that of the bottom feeders. If you have them in the tank and they do well, then shrimp should do well too.

Watch your temperature, add a fan, increase surface agitation, make sure the circulation is good and you will be perfectly fine. Oh and the side effect of the increased o2 levels would be that the plants would be happier, and another thing you will see more pearling (because of higher o2 saturation).

Good luck.

·
Registered
745 Posts
thought Tom Barr (IIRC) experimented with them before and that the differences in broods was marginal at best

in non-CO2 tanks they have larger batches of babies than they would in CO2 tanks...so say 20 babies compared to 15...

either way..they would breed like rabbits, Ive only had CO2 tanks and could colonize a 10gal in under 4-5months...and overrun it within a year

...I always liked to introduce tiger barbs or a betta and watch the carnage

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.