The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing a fill test on a 40 breeder and notice it is bowing in the center. I bought the tank as it is - it never had a center brace to begin with either. It is about 1/8 inch wider in the middle than the sides right now, but it was just filled so I'm gonna check it again in a bit. If it continues to widen I'm gonna be forced to add a center brace. Anyone have any insights as to the best way to go about this?
Gracias

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
Some bow is normal, but if you are concerned, I'd say spend a few bux, buy a glass brace from a glass shop, and silicone it between the front and back. Doesn't have to be terribly wide... as long as you use good silicone, clean the gluing surfaces very well, and let it cure it should hold.

If you have some spare pieces of 1/4" glass you could cut it yourself too. Very easy with a $3 glass cutter.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I think that you have a shear factor by putting on the top. Silicone it inside to inside and it will be stronger. Another thing is make sure you use thicker glass. More surface area for the silicone and if you drop something on it it will have less chances of shattering. (you don't want shards of glass in your tank) Also sand the edges so you don't cut yourself when you are doing maintanence.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If the trim is on the tank, then just buy a 3" wide strip of 1/4" acrylic and some nylon nuts and bolts from the hardware store. You can drill through the acrylic and the inside lip of the trim and bolt the brace on. I have done this on tanks up to 75 gallons to stop shadowing that occurs from cross braces and it works great.

Steven

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I REALLY appreciate the advice guys. But I have searched around, and seen too many pictures of tanks with the same dimensions that also lack a center brace to be concerned. I can rest now.

Gonna leave it filled outback until tomorrow - just in case :icon_mrgr

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
The front and back glass in every tank will bow out some. Really good, strong tanks will only bow out a few thousandth of an inch, but they do bow out. You can't put stress on any material without it deforming. And, that deformation should be the same after a year with the stress on it as it is after a few seconds - the bowing out doesn't slowly increase, unless you are talking about many years of continuous stress.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.