The Planted Tank Forum banner

Adding Calcium

2551 Views 6 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Daisy Mae
I think I need to add calcium. My shrimp have slowly been losing color over time, and my ramshorns aren't as prolific as they should be.

I tried adding an eggshell- they ate the protein off of it and then left it alone. Dunno if it's contributing any calcium to the aquarium...

I give the snails broccoli, which I hear is high in calcium. But I get the impression this isn't enough.

Do I need to get the calcium into the ramshorns and shrimp? (Through food) or do I need to add the calcium to the water column? Or both?

I guess the question is, what do I need to buy to solve this problem? Some sort of liquid fertilizer? Cuttlebone? DIY?

Thanks peoples!
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
1,596 Posts
What type of shrimp? And what are your water parameters- mainly GH and KH. Gives you a basis to see if your water is too soft or not.

You can try cuttlebone, pretty cheap over here it's less than two dollars a piece, three for five bucks.
It's slow release and unquantifiable though.
I would break it up into smaller pieces to increase surface area for dissolution and put it straight into the tank in a good flow spot or in the filter. I've done both ways, it takes a few days to sink.

PS it adds carbonates too, and some magnesium, snails graze on it, sometimes the shrimp too once the cuttlebone develops biofilm

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.