The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with using maybe the liquid calcium they sell for saltwater fishes to keep your snails shells from eroding? I just picked up a couple of "Golden Apple Snails" (look like trapdoor snails to me, but whatever...) from the lfs and would rather not have their shells erode over time - they're very pretty! (well, I think so anyway) and they go after the hair algae, which I like. :)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
'cause it says to use for invertebrates like corals, I assume that not nearly as much would be necessary for my snails... I added a drop or two to my bigger tanks. I suppose I could let y'all know how the inhabitants fair. it'll be a while before I know if it helps with erosion, though.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
tum tum tum ... tuuuummm
i'm sure that liquid calcium is fine.

some calcium are water soluable , & some aren't.

try gysum if you have any lying around.. i think it's calcium sulfate.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
they EAT it??? wierd! well, maybe he has heartburn! hehehehe... I assume the liquid stuff I have is water soluble - or they wouldn't market it to coral owners. :) My fears of being ripped off are assuaged - this stuff should last me quite a while.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Hi

Anyone have any experience with using maybe the liquid calcium they sell for saltwater fishes to keep your snails shells from eroding? I just picked up a couple of "Golden Apple Snails" (look like trapdoor snails to me, but whatever...) from the lfs and would rather not have their shells erode over time - they're very pretty! (well, I think so anyway) and they go after the hair algae, which I like. :)
It's safe to use in the aquarium with fish and plants. I used it for a couple of years.

To find out how to better care about your apple snail go here. It's a great site.

Applesnail.net :: Index

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's safe to use in the aquarium with fish and plants. I used it for a couple of years.

To find out how to better care about your apple snail go here. It's a great site.

Applesnail.net :: Index

Holy moly! A whole discussion forum just for apple snails! I woulda never known...... though, considering there are whole discussion forums for angels, bettas, killies, etc, I suppose it would make sense.

On the other hand, my (I guess) really fast-growing ramshorns in my more... "asian" tank are totally taking off with new brown shell that not eroded now that I've been adding this calcium stuff to it. It's only been a day or so, and they're already better - though I've now got quite a few snails with white middles and brown exteriors. it looks kinda cool, but I imagine it's not quite as nice to slide their bodies over it. :-/ Ah well. Maybe they'll grow bigger than dime sized now? :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I use cuttlebone (get it in the bird section). Cheap, Works great, lasts a long time, even with snails and fish snacking on it.

In my non-CO2 tank, the there are millions of snails.

In my CO2 tank, the loaches eat most of them...and there are only thousands.

Brandon

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
I use cuttlebone (get it in the bird section). Cheap, Works great, lasts a long time, even with snails and fish snacking on it.
Brandon, I have finches, too, so have lots of cuttlebone. How do you use it in tanks? Do you just break off a small piece and drop it in?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Exactly, it'll float around for a few hours until it's water logged. Then you can put it near some water flow or in the filter. None of my snails have eroded shells and the pH is near 6

Brandon

·
Registered
52 Posts
That is soooo funny!!! But on another note, I have an apple snail that is about twice as big as when I first got him. I always thought it was weird that his new growth is quite a bit different than the old hardened shell part that he had when I first got him... maybe he has an eroded shell? Maybe I need to add a tums?

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Calcium chloride dissolves pretty well.
It's good for your plants too.

Stuff in tums is calcium carbonate pretty much.. It's chalk and doesn't disolve in water without reactants like acid etc..

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I tossed in a "beach shell" into one of my tanks. It is rather slow to dissolve but the snails in that tank are doing fine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts