The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Im planning on adding API first layer to my substrate. I will be taking down and draining whole tank, fish out. Gravel out first layer down gravel back on top, plants back in, water back in gently,gently then fish.

My question is will any first layer that gets into the water column cause problems for my fish. I have pearl gouramis, moonlight gourami, bristlenoses and glass shrimp.

Also I have mostly crypts the main reason for the addition of first layer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We do have some. However I am in Western Australia often called Wait Awhile. They are prohibitively expensive whats available in the shops and on the net everything comes from over east so I have to pay large postage fees for some. I was thinking of going for ecocomplete if I saw no improvement after the laterite its the only other cheaper option. Im basically looking to get quite alot of plant growth for the gouramis. Not doing major aquascaping or anything so wont be disturbing the layers too much.

My sparkling gourami tank is smaller and I am using aquasoil in that which is quite expensive to obtain but I want a blackwater look, using peat and wood leaching tannins.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Laterite is a source of some iron, but, I don't believe it has any other fertilizer elements in it that are available to the plants. Even if you use it you might want to use a complete NPK and Traces fertilizer under it, like substrate tabs, for example, or the "timed release" fertilizers made for terrestrial plants.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also have fertiliser tabs and dosing the water column with NPK. I did add the laterite under my gravel. It wasnt as bigger job as I feared and I have noticed the crypts looking better, I had been using the tabs and NPK and they grew but not anything great. I think they like the iron its been in a few days and they are starting to look better.
I am also waiting on some globes I have twin T5HO 39w 10000K (came with the unit) I have a Hagen Life Glo coming.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.