The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about adding another filter(XP1) to my 40 gallon tank. I currently have an XP2 with an inline heater and a UV sterilizer but my tank is in need of extra circulation, and it wouldn't hurt to have a back up. Question is could I add a Y connector to the return line and have both filters come out the same spray bar? I would like to keep the least amount of equipment in the tank as possible, and was wondering if this would cause a priming issue? I could leave one vertical and one horizontal if need be, but this friggen acrylic tank has cut-outs on the top bracing of the tank for support that make hanging equipment in the tank a pain. Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Not a good idea to combine the outflows. Unless you go with a much larger custom outflow. Back pressure and path of least resistance will otherwise make sure that one filter is going to have problems.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
The nice thing about adding a small Eheim Ecco 2232 is it doesn't use a spraybar. Or you could plumb it down lower to so you have top and bottom circulation. It could be a slightly underpowered backup can filter. On the other hand, a powerhead will be alot cheaper.

The reason I like these Eheims are they are self priming, come with all media and quality baskets, flow adjustment, and general quality. Very nice, quiet little cannister IMO, and it won't take up a lot of space. Pretty quick disconnect too, almost as fast as an XP's.

Here's a link. Aquarium Water Quality & Filtration: Eheim ECCO Canister Filters

1 - 4 of 4 Posts