The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 90 gallon tank with eco-complete and mostly low light plants.
I have a Current USA+ light but there seems to be a lot of shadows.
I was thinking about adding another USA+ light or should I just go with a Current USA Pro+.
Tank is in a basement so it gets no natural light.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I did something like this. I have a 50g that started with a 36" + Pro mounted on the tank, but the spread wasn't great, so I added a smaller + Pro to the front. Now that I'm building a 20L, the smaller light will go on that tank and we're suspending the 36" light over the 50g for better spread.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I'm in the same dilemma, 90 Gallon with a Current + I know its not bright enough, since I have my 29 with a Planted + on next to it and its much brighter. I ended up just ordering a the 48inch Beamswork 120 .5watt led bar. I get it today. figure the Beamswork has 60watts of LEDS vs the Currents 30 so it should be quite a bit brighter

My theory was, the current usa has some nice features (dimmable, color effects, RGB ability to add better color rendering, but adding a second wouldn't increase this as much. so I'm going to put them on separate timers, and have the Current USA come on at 6am with the family in "dusk" mode basically bright enough to enjoy the fish but not grow anything and then at 11am have the Beamswork kick on for 6-7 hours then have that flip off and leave it on dusk till 9pm. not sure if the 3-4 hours of dusk on either end of the photoperiod will cause algea issues though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ordered a Current = Pro. its 60 watts so it should be a lot brighter. It also has a 24 hour timer which has moonlight, dawn, daylight and then dusk.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I ordered a Current = Pro. its 60 watts so it should be a lot brighter. It also has a 24 hour timer which has moonlight, dawn, daylight and then dusk.
Nice choice. I have a 18' + Pro on my 10 gallon (bought it for a 20 gallon) and I really like it. The build quality seems really high and the ability to change the color temp is nice too. I used to prefer cooler temp (7k +) colors, but now I'm finding myself drawn to warm temps as I get more into planted tanks. Most importantly, the intensity is fully adjustable which obviously gives much more control over the non-adjustable units.

I know from experience with my 75 gallon that getting good spread out of most the retail LED lights is hard. It seems two lights is almost a necessity for 18" wide tanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts