The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently running two finnex fugerays on my 5 gallon chi, great lights they are just 7000k of white light. Would it be beneficial for me to add a solar flare red light to the tank for the plants? I use a planted+ on another tank and it gives nice color off. But unsure if the purchase of the light would be useful or not

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
The white lights contain some red spectrums already - you might want to try finding Fudgeray's spectrum chart. If the plants look good to you, I would not bother with a Flare, which will make the tank look washed in blood.

v3

·
Registered
125 Posts
If you just wanna add some red or even play with the color spectrum a bit you could try this...

Google or search ebay/amazon for "44 key rgb led waterproof" (don't submerge it though) and you should find the entire kit with AC adapter around 20-30 dollars. You can cut it to size and then buy extra IR units, extra remotes and ac adapters for dirt cheap and use the rest of the strip on other tanks, or other projects around the house.

Also if you just want red or blue Arcadia makes a little light that would be just the right size for a 5 gal...
http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/armoledstpef.html

There are also the Hydor H2shOw Leds...
http://www.petco.com/product/118296/Hydor-H2Show-Red-LED-Aquarium-Light.aspx

Plants would probably benefit from a bit more red, but can't say how noticeable it would be. I'd do it more to change the color to look best, and the rgb strips will give you the most "tunability".

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses guys, plants look good so I'll just probably roll with the lights I have then. dmarksvr, a local club member has a bunch of her tanks with that kit you posted, it looks great and I may give that a shot sometime. U can right code for those as well? Give u lighting storms and such

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys, plants look good so I'll just probably roll with the lights I have then. dmarksvr, a local club member has a bunch of her tanks with that kit you posted, it looks great and I may give that a shot sometime. U can right code for those as well? Give u lighting storms and such
You might be able to hook them to an arduino and code them, but it may be better to get a 6803 IC dream color strip for that which have 133 mode controller, well actually they just came out with a 253 mode controller, or go with the adafruit Neopixel strips and use a Flora or something with them.

With the cheap strips and 44 key controller, you can use a music controller like this...

...That makes the led's sound responsive so as soon as the box hears the storm track playing through a cd player, mp3 etc... it will flash the strip.

I'm not sure if the Dream color IC 6803 strips will work with this music controller because they have extra chips in the strip that help it work with the IC dream 133/253 mode controller, but many of those patterns will work for doing a cloud cover or lightning FX, and once you have the strip it is cheap to cut it up and buy additional controllers for it. I have both so at some point I'll see if I can get the music controller to work with the 6803 strip, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe some other music controller would work.

Here is the 133 mode kit with ac adapter...
Amazon.com: SUPERNIGHT (TM) Full Kit Waterproof 5M 16.4Ft IC 6803 5050 Dream Magic RGB LED Strip 133 Color Change + RF Remote Controller + 12V 6A Power Supply: Home Improvement

Here is a vid showing many of the modes of the 133 mode controller and 6803 IC strip (cheap strips that come with 24 and 44 key controllers will not work with this controller). It is kinda a weird way to go about getting cloud cover or lightning FX but it will create that dimming/shading and slight color shift effect of cloud cover, and other programs might look like lighting flashing in different areas. It will play whatever program is was on last when it starts up so you can use an interval timer, motion sensor outlet, or remote control outlet to sync it music. (the hard part is finding something that will just turn on and play music for a set time buy itself as soon as it gets power instead of having to push play). But basically you can leave the music controller and strip on all the time and set the sensitivity so it doesn't come on till it hears something loud enough, thus it is always on standby till you push play for a storm track.

·
Registered
12,473 Posts
Try to do that w/ t5's........... ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts