The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently i'm using a fluval 205 filter on my 46g tank. Instead of running the filter through the bottom of the tank, I have it set up with some tubing to go over the top of the tank, so the equipment is less obtrusive on the aesthetics of the tank.

anyway, the filter is only rated for up to a 40g tank on the fluval website, and usually i think you want to use a filter that is rated for a larger tank than yours. The flow in the tank is horrible, and even with an extra pump inside the tank, the water barely moves at all.

Can i just hook up a powerhead to the output of the filter to increase the flow through the filter and get more water movement throughout the tank? or do i have to add more water pumps or get a new filter or something?

·
Registered
423 Posts
I don't quite understand what you mean by "Instead of running the filter through the bottom of the tank, I have it set up with some tubing to go over the top of the tank." What do you mean by "bottom of the tank"?

Normally, the tubing goes just over the edge of the tank, over the rim, and down to the filter.

Do you have quite a bit of tubing routed across the top, then dropping down to the filter on the side or something like that?

If so, that could be the reason why you have low flow. The additional length of tubing causes some frictional loss, which can slow down a filter.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't quite understand what you mean by "Instead of running the filter through the bottom of the tank, I have it set up with some tubing to go over the top of the tank." What do you mean by "bottom of the tank"?

Normally, the tubing goes just over the edge of the tank, over the rim, and down to the filter.
right! sorry. Okay so my tank/stand comes with pre-drilled and sealed holes in the bottom of the tank, so that the intake and output of the filter are close to the filter, allowing the flow to be higher. here is what fluval has to say to explain it:
Supplied with a Fluval 205 external filter, and the new "Easy-Connect" system which allows you to connect the filter directly to the intake and outlet built directly in to the base of the Aquarium. This means no more need of unsightly external hosing and prominent cross rim devices.
Maybe that will make it easier to picture?

So the tubes DO go over the edge, over the rim, and down to the filter, but they aren't meant to go that far away from the filter, so it has a hard time pushing the water that far away.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.