The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I’m going to be going through a big tank move next week, and will be adding 20 rainbowfish and 6 SAE’s to my 125G tank all at once. I know that isn’t considered grossly overstocked, but my concern is that I’m going to cause a cycle when they’re added. I’m using an established filter and will be reusing my substrate, but I also know that there’s not even close to this number of fish in the tank right now.

My plan is to do a pwc every day, and dose with prime just after the water change. I’ll also be dosing some Tetra Safestart with each water change to help the bacteria population grow more quickly. Will this be enough to keep the fish safe while the bacteria catch up? Is there anything else I can do to help them through this transition?

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I'd say don't bother with the Tetra bacteria. Since you'll be starting with bacteria colonies already, they simply just need to grow in order to handle the influx of nitrogen.

What I'd do is monitor your parameters daily and dose Seachem Safe daily to keep the nitrogen detoxified while the bacteria catches up.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Yeah, it's a large water volume so it won't build up too quickly. Main thing is to also do water changes as well until ammonia is not detected. Keep feeding a bit on the light side

1 - 3 of 3 Posts